• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Moving from Burnthouse Lane to the Countess Wear estate to find one of these beauties on the wall in the new house.

12 channels!
Westward TV and Harlech/HTV!

Plus the opportunity to crack the 'open channel D Mr Waverley' line from Man From Uncle...
Had one in my house in Springfield Road.

Oldsmobile-88

Ah, the only reason I enjoyed going to my grandmother's in the late 60s/ early 70s was that she had Rediffusion and I could watch Sunday League cricket on BBC2. Couldn't get BBC2 at home at the time as the transmitter our aerial pointed at hadn't been upgraded.
The TV we had could not receive BBC2 because the channel was broadcast on UHF(625 lines) My parents knew a TV Engineer(TV Man in those days 😁) who did the necessary conversion. I was always fascinated watching Ron do work on the TV. I remember after the conversion, manually tuning to the 3 different channels on the bottom dial in the photo.
The top dial was pre-set VHF(405 Line)numbers which ‘clicked’ when they were turned. It was redundant after the conversion. iirc number 9 was Westward TV, 2 was BBC1
This was done in 1971..Alias Smith & Jones could now be watched 😎

A1FD5A75-5759-4D86-BA4D-E41675A07636.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^

The manufacturer was Baird.

Tim Long

This was done in 1971..Alias Smith & Jones could now be watched 😎
Funnily enough, Alias Smith and Jones was the programme talked about in the playground and I had to admit I couldn't watch it because we couldn't get BBC2.

Spoonz Red E

Price given in guineas too.

Oldsmobile-88

Funnily enough, Alias Smith and Jones was the programme talked about in the playground and I had to admit I couldn't watch it because we couldn't get BBC2.
There was not a great deal of ‘light’ programmes on BBC2 in those days, but that one bucked the trend. It was very popular with a younger audience, although it was not aimed at that demographic. Being transmitted on a late Sunday afternoon originally (iirc) helped it to be popular with that age group.
Another great US western type show on BBC2 in those days was The High Chaparrel that was on a Monday about 8pm.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Price given in guineas too.
Some sort of marketing ploy perhaps.

Does 70 gns sound better on the wallet that £73 10/-

Spoonz Red E

This was a BBC2 favourite of mine back then.

crocks

Life on Mars is available on Iplayer. Been binge watching this over the last few days. Brilliant stuff.

The non PC environment in 1973 is cringeworthy but somehow hilarious at the same time. It struck me that life was so much simpler back then.

Oldsmobile-88

A friend who lived close by did not have access to a TV at home, it was not that his parents could not afford it, they thought it unnecessary. I invited him down to my house after school to watch Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea or Star Trek, which was a particular favourite of his.