• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust elections 2017

Doug3101

Has anybody asked all the candidates on a scale of 1-10 how much they despise Plymouth Argyle ?
No hate, just the thought that the knight galloping in on his mighty steed is not necessarily there to save you!

http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/investigation-over-attempted-fraud-plymouth-629178

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Don't forget you can drop off your ballot paper before the Port Vale game in one of the ballot boxes located in the Club shop or at the Trust store. I think the ballot box is available at other times in the Club shop.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Dropping off my ballot paper tomorrow. Still haven't decided who the fourth person is that I'll vote for.

Boyo

Dropping off my ballot paper tomorrow. Still haven't decided who the fourth person is that I'll vote for.
You don't have to vote for four. Indeed if you are unsure about a fourth then you're better off just voting for 3. Imagine if one of your three lost by one vote to the fourth person you voted for.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You don't have to vote for four. Indeed if you are unsure about a fourth then you're better off just voting for 3. Imagine if one of your three lost by one vote to the fourth person you voted for.
I understand that, just thought it might be nice to vote for four.

WXF

We would largely negate such dilemmas if we used a preferential voting system, like that used for local elections in Scotland and most public elections in Northern Ireland (and used by many trade unions and other membership bodies for internal elections).

Last edited:

Red Bill

We would largely negate such dilemmas if we used a preferential voting system, like that used for local elections in Scotland and most public elections in Northern Ireland (and used by many trade unions and other membership bodies for internal elections).
I put this idea forward at the Election Review committee and although we felt it was worth looking into further apparently the TB weren't interested.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
There are hustings at 11.30 today in the St Sidwells Street Community Centre.

WXF

I put this idea forward at the Election Review committee and although we felt it was worth looking into further apparently the TB weren't interested.
Thank you. That is disappointing. Election organisers are sometimes put off by preferential voting because they're not confident about counting the votes, but it can be done in house by those comfortable with maths (standard rules at https://www.opavote.com/methods/ers97-stv-rules) or by paying one of the external groups who will conduct your election for a fee. Preferential voting (numbering candidates in order of preference) is good because it better reflects the preferences of individual voters. All the main political parties now use it in their leadership elections.

Doug3101

Thank you. That is disappointing. Election organisers are sometimes put off by preferential voting because they're not confident about counting the votes, but it can be done in house by those comfortable with maths (standard rules at https://www.opavote.com/methods/ers97-stv-rules) or by paying one of the external groups who will conduct your election for a fee. Preferential voting (numbering candidates in order of preference) is good because it better reflects the preferences of individual voters. All the main political parties now use it in their leadership elections.
I was speaking to a fellow candidate at the hustings today and I think we agreed that the current system could work against people.
In the main voters will choose their preferred candidate and then out of some kind of social compliance, will feel obliged to fill in the maximum number of boxes that may well push their favourite further away from the finish line.

Last edited: