• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust elections 2017

Red Bill

One problem, if it is one, is that Exeweb is an anonymous forum (or can be for those who choose to remain so) so you don't really know who are Trust members and who are not. Probably why any questions are encouraged to be sent via the Trust so the questioner's membership can be checked.

If questions are pertinent and their answers informative what does it matter whether the questioner is a member of the Trust or not? I would argue the that kind of openness may encourage non-members to join.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just to ask the question - is there anything to prevent candidates from campaigning in open forums accessible to both Trust members and non-members? If so, what is the logic behind that? I don't understand why a candidate could not (for example) make a campaign statement on the supporters group FB page, or an Exeweb post, or something similar - I don't understand what the difference would be to publishing the manifesto on the Trust website (which can also be read by anyone, and not just Trust members?)
Yes, we live in a world where people have an insatiable appetite for (and right to ) information. But Exeter City and the Trust are stuck in the dark ages. If we want to vote Tory in a general election we don't have to be a party member, do we? I don't see why a season ticket holder, a fan who always travels to away games, or a fan who regularly attends home matches should be excluded from the process. Why should the club/Trust be afraid of a transparent campaign and debate?

Red Bill

I too am a candidate for the election like Pete and have found things very quiet.

My name is Paul West and I'm happy to answer any questions from Trust members.

Thanks for coming on Paul. When I stood last year my concerns were about accountability, openness, member engagement/communication and increasing the democratisation of the trust. Obviously all of those things mean different things to different people, so could you give us your views on those issues and what if re-elected you would do to further those aims please.

Matt Russell

If questions are pertinent and their answers informative what does it matter whether the questioner is a member of the Trust or not? I would argue the that kind of openness may encourage non-members to join.
No disagreement with that RB, which is why I said "One problem, if it is one"
There are others who think that non-members should have as much say in Trust affairs as members.
Am I right in thinking you'd disagree with them?

Red Bill

No disagreement with that RB, which is why I said "One problem, if it is one"
There are others who think that non-members should have as much say in Trust affairs as members.
Am I right in thinking you'd disagree with them?
Depends a bit on context Matt, but in general you are correct in that I disagree. My feeling is that if you want a say, you can join the Trust.

Terryhall

Would be interesting to know your own thoughts here Matt?

For what its worth I would say that, in terms of information sharing, I don't see any reason why a Trust member should be privy to more information than any other fan. All fans support the club and should have the same access to information regardless of whether they are a member of the Trust or not.

From a governance perspective and "having a say", that depends on what you mean. Any fan can present their opinion to the club and ask the club what they are doing, or demand that the club do something in a certain way. Doing so via an organised group such as a Supporters Group would likely carry more weight than just a single fan on their own. And doing so as a member of the Trust, which is the majority shareholder of the club and really can put some weight behind those kind of demands, would therefore carry yet more weight.

So yes, fans can choose to be members of the Trust or not, and can still have a say in either instance. But in terms of actually effecting change at the club, the fans voice is probably heard louder when it is backed by a democratic vote of the wider membership of the majority shareholder.

Matt Russell

Agree with all that, except when you say that "the fan's voice is probably heard louder" etc.etc.
I think that the fan's voice is certainly heard louder" etc.etc
It's why i would advocate all those who are not yet members to become so.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, we live in a world where people have an insatiable appetite for (and right to ) information. But Exeter City and the Trust are stuck in the dark ages. If we want to vote Tory in a general election we don't have to be a party member, do we? I don't see why a season ticket holder, a fan who always travels to away games, or a fan who regularly attends home matches should be excluded from the process. Why should the club/Trust be afraid of a transparent campaign and debate?
Sorry Mike, I have to take issue with you on some of your argument. I am at a loss to see how you can make a direct comparison between voting in a general election and voting for people to sit on the Trust Board and formulate (with the input from Trust members) Trust policy.

Please don't see this as talking down to you as that is not my intention, but our club does not operate under the standard model. The majority shareholder is the Supporters' Trust. The Trust was born around the millennium and grew relatively slowly until the crunch time came in the Russell and Lewis era. It was at that time, when the club was well and truly on its uppers, that the only saviour of it was the Trust. Nobody else was interested. Even the Isca Consortium which included the likes of Taggy, Joe Gadston, Alan Roberts, Steve Perryman and Steve McPherson, had to pull out in 2002, even before Russell and Lewis 'gained control', leaving only the Trust. I know it may grate with you and maybe some others when I say this, but if it were not for the Trust, we might possibly not even have a club to be arguing over today.

Can you imagine Blackpool fans, Charlton Athletic fans and all the other clubs at loggerheads with their clubs' owners being listened to....any of them. At Blackpool the Trust has been fighting against the Oystons for ages and are treated with utter contempt. Even a fans' boycott - as hard as that is to endure - will not bend them.

I have friends (some of them quite close friends) who are in the bracket you mention (season ticket holders, fans who always travel to away games and who always attend home matches} and we talk about the club, what is good and what is bad and sometimes have a Mrs. Merton style 'heated debate'. It doesn't stop us being friends and, try as I may, I have so far failed to persuade them to join the Trust. That is their free choice and mine is to continue believing they are wrong not to become part of it.

Matt Russell

Depends a bit on context Matt, but in general you are correct in that I disagree. My feeling is that if you want a say, you can join the Trust.
That has a tantalising hint of "maybe yes, maybe no" about it which is a puzzle as I've found you to be usually more forthright about issues.
Where more specifically would you think that non-members should have as much say in Trust affairs as members?

Calvi

We should differentiate maybe, between people who have a say and people who merely want to understand something with greater clarity. Maybe greater clarity on Trust affairs would encourage more to join.

Am very happy to answer any questions from members or otherwise - Nick Hawker.