• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Elections 2016

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm surprised(or am I? :)) that the Trust didn't run with an interim chairman for a couple of months to determine the impact of the new Trustees on the Board.

With Laurence stepping down and the other 3 Club Board members appointed by the Trust being re-elected, I see this largely as a vote to retain the status quo, with only Pete Holding capable of effecting any dynamic change.
Perhaps Pete prefers to concentrate on his role as a TB member of the Club Board ? The TB chair also needs to be involved in the touchy feely stuff and I am not sure that is Pete's bag.

Had there been sweeping change at the election I think it would have been sensible for Laurence to stay on for say 3 months to let the new TB establish itself but there was no such sweeping change.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
With Laurence stepping down and the other 3 Club Board members appointed by the Trust being re-elected, I see this largely as a vote to retain the status quo, with only Pete Holding capable of effecting any dynamic change.
Rather than to be to maintain the status quo, when we moved to equal representation on the club board it was agreed that, subject to annual re-approval by the Trust board, the Trust reps would each serve at least three years to ensure there was continuity. This was the main reason why Pete Holding stayed on the club board for the twelve months after he had to resign as a Trustee in 2015.

Obviously, there’s the potential scenario of three Trust reps leaving the club board next year having completed their agreed minimum term but there’s no reason why, say, two of those three couldn't remain so that any replacements are phased in.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rather than to be to maintain the status quo, when we moved to equal representation on the club board it was agreed that, subject to annual re-approval by the Trust board, the Trust reps would each serve at least three years to ensure there was continuity. This was the main reason why Pete Holding stayed on the club board for the twelve months after he had to resign as a Trustee in 2015.

Obviously, there’s the potential scenario of three Trust reps leaving the club board next year having completed their agreed minimum term but there’s no reason why, say, two of those three couldn't remain so that any replacements are phased in.
But that's the problem with the Trust, everything is long winded. Martin and Paul deal very effectively with the community side but who can challenge NOW and deal effectively with the costs of the triumvirate? Who can sort the problems connected with shares (this has been ongoing for 10 years)? Who can get to grips with, and resolve all the redevelopment problems (despite it being only a rather pathetic scheme)? Who can put pressure on the Council to look more favourably on the Trust? Who can promote schemes that generate real income for the Trust? Who can make the Club stand on its own two feet? I could go on almost ad infinitum but I think by now you must be getting my drift.

David Treharne

Who can sort the problems connected with shares (this has been ongoing for 10 years)?.
Corrected for factuals - it's actually 13 years. Nonetheless Nigel Banks, Paul Farley, Justin Quick and I are on the case (as reported at the AGM). As you would expect, progress is slow, but the matter is about to be taken several steps further forward by consulting Exeter based firms of Accountants and Solicitors. The issue was not helped by the Club Board allowing the sale of shares to a third party (from a third party), but we believe that after consultation with several National based interested parties that we appear to have a way forward. I would say "Watch this space" but imagine that this thread will be long gone by the time it's all resolved.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Corrected for factuals - it's actually 13 years. Nonetheless Nigel Banks, Paul Farley, Justin Quick and I are on the case (as reported at the AGM). As you would expect, progress is slow, but the matter is about to be taken several steps further forward by consulting Exeter based firms of Accountants and Solicitors. The issue was not helped by the Club Board allowing the sale of shares to a third party (from a third party), but we believe that after consultation with several National based interested parties that we appear to have a way forward. I would say "Watch this space" but imagine that this thread will be long gone by the time it's all resolved.
Whilst I was on the Trust Board £17,000 was specifically allocated in the Trust budget to purchase shares. That money was then grabbed by the Club Board for another purpose. However for such a specific amount to be included in the budget there must have been agreement to purchase x number of shares at y price. Why can't, or couldn't these deals be resurrected when the Trust again had sufficient funds?

David Treharne

Whilst I was on the Trust Board £17,000 was specifically allocated in the Trust budget to purchase shares. That money was then grabbed by the Club Board for another purpose. However for such a specific amount to be included in the budget there must have been agreement to purchase x number of shares at y price. Why can't, or couldn't these deals be resurrected when the Trust again had sufficient funds?
Don't mean to be obfuscant, but since the period of which you are speaking, the 2011 Companies Act has changed many of the provisions that would formerly have had to be made. I also gauge that there is a general willingness (note that I do not use the word 'total') to move this situation forward, which has not happened before. Several of the obstacles, both human and legal, which have previously been an impediment have been removed. We will have to see how this matter progresses, and when there is more news I will post under a suitable heading.