• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Election - Al Yates Nomination Details and Q&A Thread

AL_Yates

You are elected for a three year term Al and cannot serve more than 9 years consecutively.
Thanks Alistair for the clarification. No issues with that, but would expect to be accountable on an annual basis with the progress of the Trust.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks Alistair for the clarification. No issues with that, but would expect to be accountable on an annual basis with the progress of the Trust.
You say no issues with that, but you said just a few posts ago that you might leave the post after one year. I think you',re a good candidate but it's better to be straight up. Which one is it?

AL_Yates

You say no issues with that, but you said just a few posts ago that you might leave the post after one year. I think you',re a good candidate but it's better to be straight up. Which one is it?
Thanks for allowing me to be more concise. I am fully committed to a full term. Hope that helps.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks for allowing me to be more concise. I am fully committed to a full term. Hope that helps.
Ok. Thanks. I do think it should be your intention and commitment to dedicate the minimum 3 years to the position, otherwise it could seem that you were standing as candidate as some kind of stepping stone.
But anyway, you say you are committed to the three years and imo your application is a good one, so I wish you good luck.
IM

AL_Yates

IM Thanks for the feedback. My thoughts come from 3 years in life being along time, I also would also expect to be accountable for progress that we make. I also have a businesses and a property portfolio that I manage, older members of family to consider, and my son play football as well. That said I still managed 18 away games last year and 7 at home, so I will commit. All I would do is juggle things differently. I think people should be accountable on an annual basis, to make sure there is progress and energy in the Trust, that way it continues to evolve.

HUFC1885

I believe there’s nothing more important than fostering our local youth sports to provide children a safe place to get physically active and enjoy competitive football matches with their peers.

How would you like The Trust to be more involved in youth teams further promote The Trust & Junior Grecians and of course ECFC to all our FA Team members who play every weekend in the Greater Exeter Area.

Rob
HUFC & ECFC Supporter

AL_Yates

I believe there’s nothing more important than fostering our local youth sports to provide children a safe place to get physically active and enjoy competitive football matches with their peers.

How would you like The Trust to be more involved in youth teams further promote The Trust & Junior Grecians and of course ECFC to all our FA Team members who play every weekend in the Greater Exeter Area.

Rob
HUFC & ECFC Supporter
HUFC1885 Thanks for the great question.

Can I just say this is a subject close to my heart, my lad is presently in a National League North Football Academy and I also ran a youth football team for 3 years up until last season. I have taken an interest in the courses on the FA education site around Talent Identification and Scouting, I have also completed some of the many courses available on the FA Licensed Coach System. I did these just for interest!

For me it is two-fold. Firstly the community aspect is massive and building a way of life linked to healthy sport. The second part is giving people opportunities. I think the club do some fantastic work in this area. I would encourage players supporting awards nights, coaches helping mentor coaches and giving people pathways (Education/Futsal/Refs & Players).

The other side of it is the continuation of match day experiences, matches played at the training facilities and SJP. I also think the 'Older Middle Aged' and 'Veterans' should be encouraged, to see the improvement in mental health. For example, due a football injury and operation to repair the damage...I cant play normal football. I could play walking football, but dont as I dont have access to play. There are many people in that category. The club has been active in this area, we could do more.

I have seen the links in schools locally in my area (Northants), and teams such as West Brom, Cobblers, Oxford United, Reading, MK Dons, and Wycombe are active.
Sessions in schools with coaches are very attractive to kids, we could offer coach mentoring as well. But to conclude supporting local leagues is a must for me. Discounted youth club tickets, school tickets made available and have these linked into ground tours etc. Mascot competitions and our mascot attending kids soccer clubs on training nights, tournaments and Xmas parties. In my local town a youth team has a mascot (my wife procured it :)) and it has been very effective for them. Pop-advertising for Junior Grecians should be doing the rounds of all the key football tournaments supported by the mascot. There is loads that could be done.

We could also offer single parent and children season tickets - not sure we do? But these are very popular at MK Dons up here.

Again great question!

Last edited:

AL_Yates

Just to add to the above a Trust Youth Competition would be great! Trust Junior Grecians Alliance Cup!

Red Bill

Several candidates have mentioned trying to increase engagement with fans/members and I have put questions relating to this to some of you based on statements made in your manifestos. But here’s some questions for you all.

Better member engagement is often talked about and disappointment often expressed at the lack of it. This is particularly true in relation to voting in Trust Board elections where turnout is frequently low. I believe if we as a Trust are serious about this we need to ensure we make it as easy as possible for people to engage and take part in the election process. Three years ago I was invited to participate in an election review panel and one of our recommendations to the Trust Board resulting from our review, was the introduction of an online voting facility. Our recommendations were sent to the board, who were I believe going to look further into this proposal, but I’m unaware of any progress having been made. This seems to me a very obvious and simple way to help increase engagement in elections. So my questions are:
  • Do you support this idea?
  • If elected would you try to work towards its introduction?
  • What other ways do you think members could be encouraged to take part in the election process?

AL_Yates

Thanks Red Bill another great but huge question.....

Fundamentally this is the main reason I have stood after so long, I have been transparent with the Trust behind the scenes with regards to engagement with members, I confess I feel I have faced these challenges directly myself to volunteer in the past. Since I developed the Trust with the founding group this has become an annual mute point. I myself have not attended AGM for a few years, up until last years. Partly as I have been busy with a young family, youth football and developing my business. But now despite being busy I want us to do a few things:

- Celebrate the 2000 date for formation of the Trust (20 years), it is an opportunity to celebrate the good work, but also take a step to alert the members to their success and the football world. We can also celebrate in 3 years taking over the club.

- In my manifesto I already talked about digital transformation of Trust admin and voting. I would like to take some learning from my local National League North team, they have really engaged with it supporters. They also have the change of address, finance administration elements at a fab level. We could also follow the Ebbsfleet model where you can vote on decisions and motions. I am no expert in this area but feel it is achievable. We could also add 'gofundme' style appeal for capital projects. We could even look at cloud/crowd funding options were people get a return on investment.

- I am a season ticket holder by default at the club I mention, due to having a youth player on their books. I see 5-6 games a season at a discount rate (12 quid plus the kids free) when Exeter are not playing, or my lad has a morning game and Exeter are at home. The point is the change over the last 5 years is noticeable in the local area. They punch above their weight. They have a vibrant seniors club that do coach trips during the week and the soccer school is booming. We could add to our present offering.

- A Trust Youth Alliance Cup opened to all local youth teams could be introduced, it would need local management, teams sign up and players encouraged to become Junior Grecians with discounted membership and prize money of training equipment for the winners, or a training session with the first team. That would be an idea to scope and look at feasibility. Cup matches at SJP followed by a fans open day.

- Pop up marketing and open sessions away from match day should be expanded, looking for funding to promote this area from grants.

- Having the Hustings at a sensible time and day would help, I have raised concerns on this prior to the confirmation of time this year. Looking at the club website and Trust as I write now, it does not appear to be communicated old and potential new members. For an exile it is the worst time. I am also surprised at the lack of club media efforts and local media news. I watch the local news for Devon on satellite, I have seen very little coverage.

- I also think communication PODS could be placed in the stands and by tea huts. High-Level information: This month no members x , % growth, Money raised this month x, Money raised YTD, money raised annually last 5 years, Five focus areas, skills needed this month, People we would like to thank etc.

- The Trust election PR not sufficient to garner interest and needs to change next year.

I could throw loads of ideas out, but they need to be agreed, assessed and prioritized.

Hope that shows the perspective I could add, external knowledge, and some ideas along the way.