• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Board Election. Questions for Pete Martin

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
What would you do to widen the appeal of the Trust and increase membership ?
We have been hovering around the 3,000 members mark for quite some time. At various times it goes over that figure and, at others, slightly under. It is interesting that a large proportion of the members do not live locally and it is my feeling that being a member gives them a link to the club that they love and a chance to contribute, when it is difficult for them to attend matches. particularly at home.

There has historically been a spike in membership applications when a 'big club' is coming to town, but many of those are for one year only as statistics clearly show, because of the need to be a member to get ticket priority for 'big' games.

Membership drives have happened in the past and a large number of membership forms were printed and a major leafleting campaign was undertaken, probably 7/8 years ago now but it produced very limited results.

As time passes, it becomes a bit harder to convince younger people to join because they have grown up following the club, but rarely understanding the history and background of 'fan ownership' thing. Inroads are being made here with initiatives like the Junior Grecians and the development of the 'Family Zone' . Membership of the Trust is part of the Junior Grecians package and will, hopefully, mean that a good number will continue to follow the club and remain Trust members into adulthood. The initiative has seen Junior Grecians membership rise from around 280 to 415 in a short space of time and I understand that it is continuing to rise as youngster speaks with youngster.

There is also quite a lot of resistance from season ticket holders to joining the Trust as many feel that they are already paying enough into the coffers as it is. To try to press gang them to join would be counter productive and only gentle persuasion when the opportunity arises is likely to bear any fruit.

One area that might have an impact is to try and negotiate deals with local businesses where there would be discount to Trust members, but the organisation and administration of such a thing is pretty time consuming.

I honestly believe, and I guess I always have, that campaigns to get supporters to join are not particularly effective and talking face to face with non-members and encouraging them to understand the reasons to join are significantly better. I guess a campaign to encourage members to 'have a chat with a non-member over a drink' might help?

Personally, I and my group of volunteers are currently working on a proposal to produce 'flyers' to give out on matchdays and otherwise circulate, to try and 'sell' the reasons for and benefits of joining. For me, membership forms are fine, but a tad too formal for that specific purpose and, unless a person asks for one, can feel like press-ganging. The flyers will give the info. and invite folk to have a think about it....and pointing them in the right direction to join without any arm twisting.

Last edited:

Red Bill

Just for the avoidance of doubt, it didn't come from me and I have no idea whether it is correct or not.
It may have come from a post I made on another thread where the 'living wage' was being discussed. At a TB meeting I attended in April '15 the subject of the 'adopting the living wage for ECFC employees' was under debate, in that post of mine that I was referring to, I said that from memory a figure of £15k was given as what the total yearly cost to the club would be if a policy of paying the living wage (approx £8.25-45 at the time) was adopted.

Antony Moxey

Do you prefer custard creams or chocolate hob nobs at Trust board meetings?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Do you prefer custard creams or chocolate hob nobs at Trust board meetings?
Custard creams. Sadly, we don't have either. Not even a bleddy cuppa. :(

Alistair20000

Hi Pete

I know you and I have discussed this matter but for the benefit of others:

Do you support the view that the Trust should increase its shareholding in the Club to at least 75% and if so what steps do you propose to take to deliver that objective ?

Antony Moxey

Custard creams. Sadly, we don't have either. Not even a bleddy cuppa. :(
Thanks Pete. Good to know whether candidates are still in touch with the man in the street.

fred binneys head

Hi Pete

Do you support the view that the Trust should increase its shareholding in the Club to at least 75% and if so what steps do you propose to take to deliver that objective ?
If you could also explain why you think the Trust should do that, it would be appreciated.

Alistair20000

If you could also explain why you think the Trust should do that, it would be appreciated.
See reply on Nick Hawker thread.

However, as you have asked nicely it was on the Trust AGM Motion re Trust appointed directors thread: see for example posts 121 and 122 and the following posted by Terryhall.

It's perhaps a bit impenetrable but this is a decent summary of the benefits of the 75% threshold compared to 50% (which is where the Trust currently sits).

http://www.shareholderrights.co.uk/RightsOfAShareHolder/75.html

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Hi Pete

Yes, I do support same and always have done. This falls under the remit of the Ownership Working Group, of which I am a member. I can only 'take steps' through the group (it is not a job for one person), of which I am a member and lean on those charged with sorting of the share issue. It is an ongoing job of work which I am not personally involved with although I am certainly of the opinion that it has gone on for an uncomfortably long time. I do know that there are considerable legal and practical barriers which seem to take aeons to resolve and we may ultimately need to take (and pay for) professional advice as to how we achieve the objective. All I can really say in all honesty is that there are people continuing to work on achieving it.

Spoonz Red E

Communications, Shareholding, Club Business plan, Governance, Trust membership, The Freehold(s).
All have been mentioned in these Q & As and have also been mentioned for many previous years as 'work to do'.
What do you feel is needed to put some 'adrenalin' into the process?