• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust AGM 2018

Red Bill

Following on from Doug and I's mini discussion on here, I'm planning on putting three resolutions to the AGM. If having read what they're about, if anyone agrees with me, I could do with a bit of help re the wording and any thoughts re practicalities. So please PM me

All resolutions relate to the make up of the Trust board:

Res 1) I propose that the number of members on the Trust Board be fixed at 12. If after an election there are less than 12 board members, the number of trustees may be brought up to 12 by co-opted trustees who shall have full voting rights.

Res 2) If a trustee/s resign/s from the board other than before an election is announced, leaving their number below 12, the board may co-opt a trustee with full voting rights. If however there were unsuccessful candidates at the most recent election, the co-option should be offered first to the candidate/s who recorded the highest number of votes at that election.

Res 3) if the need for a particular skill or area of expertise is identified by the Board, suitable members may be co-opted as trustees to fulfil that requirement, but these co-opted trustees shall have no voting rights.

So why does any of this matter? At present, the number of trustees on the board can be decided by the board before an election within upper and lower limits. Now whilst I'm not suggesting this has ever happened, IMO it leaves the board open to manipulation to some extent. As an example of of how; the year I stood there were four of us standing who issued a joint statement around the need for a change of attitude on the TB, something that was contentious at the time. The board at that time had a majority who were to some extent opposed to or at least appeared opposed to that view. Unusually there were 8 places on the board available that year and it looked very possible that all 4 of us who issued the joint statement would be elected and once we joined the two sitting members, those who opposed us (loosely) would have lost their majority and therefore the ability to shape things their way. Now if they were unscrupulous they could then have decided to make the new board 15 strong, diluting the power of the new trustees and therefore maintaining their majority position.

Why 12? because I believe thats the maximum number on any board if you want to actually get any business done. If you have more, by the time everyone's had their say there's no time left to mae a decision, if you have less you potentially have decisions being made on behalf of a 3000 strong membership by two or three people.

Why shouldn't co-optees have voting rights, because i believe its undemocratic and if you have a full board also unnecessary.

Why should co-options be offered first to unsuccessful candidates,? Because in this type of election, candidates aren't rejected by the electorate, they simply haven't gained enough support to take one of the available places. In another year they could get elected with the same number of votes and be in the same position (i.e. 3rd 4th 5th or whatever) and be successful.

Last edited:

Temporarily Exiled

There won't be an election this time, but am I right in saying that the system used in voting is not STV (ranked ballot).

Would it be possible to stage some form of by-election should somebody in the Trust step down mid-term, instead of going down the list of people that wanted to do it perhaps a couple years ago?

Last edited:

Red Bill

There won't be an election this time, but am I right in saying that the system used in voting is not STV (ranked ballot).

Would it be possible to stage some form of by-election should somebody in the Trust step down mid-term, instead of going down the list of people that wanted to do it perhaps a couple years ago?
It isn't STV. That suggestion was put to the board following an election review I took part in, but the idea wasn't warmly received. By elections also aren't looked on favourably due to cost.

In the proposal above i was suggesting that co-options should be offered to those who stood in the most recent elections only, not anyone who'd ever stood and been unsuccessful. But thanks, maybe that needs to be clearer.

Doug3101

"Res 2) If a trustee/s resign/s from the board other than before an election is announced, leaving their number below 12, the board may co-opt a trustee with full voting rights. If however there were unsuccessful candidates at the most recent election, the co-option should be offered first to the candidate/s who recorded the highest number of votes at that election."

Interesting Byll, I would suggest that there may be other reasons apart from resignations, we are all mere mortals.

What would be the length of term for a co optee? Would they serve a full 3 years, one year, would they serve the remainder of the ex trustees term or they would it run until the next election process?

Good idea there Byll and some do have legs.

Red Bill

"Res 2) If a trustee/s resign/s from the board other than before an election is announced, leaving their number below 12, the board may co-opt a trustee with full voting rights. If however there were unsuccessful candidates at the most recent election, the co-option should be offered first to the candidate/s who recorded the highest number of votes at that election."

Interesting Byll, I would suggest that there may be other reasons apart from resignations, we are all mere mortals.

What would be the length of term for a co optee? Would they serve a full 3 years, one year, would they serve the remainder of the ex trustees term or they would it run until the next election process?

Good idea there Byll and some do have legs.
Thanks Doug, good comments, ill see if I can tighten them up.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although I fully understand the thought behind automatic appointment of the last unsuccessful candidate, I am not so sure it is a good idea.

Say Adolf hitler - or an Argyle troll- stood, and we successfully organised to defeat him. Then a trustee resigns or drops down dead. We are then stuck with such person as a trustee.

fred binneys head

Although I fully understand the thought behind automatic appointment of the last unsuccessful candidate, I am not so sure it is a good idea.

Say Adolf hitler - or an Argyle troll- stood, and we successfully organised to defeat him. Then a trustee resigns or drops down dead. We are then stuck with such person as a trustee.
That's a bit of an over-reaction Andrew, Hitler wasn't that bad.

Red Bill

Maybe we should bar fascist dictators from joining the Trust in the first place!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For those that love poring over financial statements, then here's the Trust's set of accounts

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/414a8e_5f49d5ad0b334b09b6e82aaa5562967f.pdf

Alistair20000

For those that love poring over financial statements, then here's the Trust's set of accounts

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/414a8e_5f49d5ad0b334b09b6e82aaa5562967f.pdf
The Club accounts are more interesting assuming we get to see some extracts.