• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Truro City vs Exeter City - the second friendly match day thread

Terryhall

Anyone that was there who could comment on how Oates got on - does he look decent?

MrDubbs

Difficult to assess Oates as he didn't really have much to do, what he did was neat and tidy but he didn't have too much defending to do and didn't go on any overlapping runs.

Not sure how good Truro are this year as they have lost a few key players but I've seen enough friendlies like this where City haven't created much so that's a positive.

Keepers - Pym and Harmon had nothing to do apart from catch a few crosses

Defence - Only tested really by long balls which were dealt with easily by Brown and Martin. Martin is very vocal.

Midfield - All good kept the ball moving and not afraid to pass forward - Stand outs for me Boatang looked a class above, first time seeing Archie Collins always wanted the ball and rarely gave it away, Law again neat and tidy always available not wasteful, good anticipation to pick up a blocked Stockley shot and square to Forte to score, Holmes and Taylor full of running and movement.

Forwards - Not yet convinced by MJ but took his headed goal well, Abrahams is quick and willing to run and harry the defenders, had two clear cut chances one forced a good save out of the keeper and second hit the post allowing Sparkes to put in the rebound. Stockley as per last season big, strong, took his goal well and everything stuck to him when played forward. Was impressed with Forte quick, knows where the goal is, keen to get in behind the last defender and probably most importantly for their first 45 minutes together worked very well with Stockley.

Terryhall

Thanks MrDubbs - good summary (y)

Matt Jay scored a header!?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Difficult to assess Oates as he didn't really have much to do, what he did was neat and tidy but he didn't have too much defending to do and didn't go on any overlapping runs.

Not sure how good Truro are this year as they have lost a few key players but I've seen enough friendlies like this where City haven't created much so that's a positive.

Keepers - Pym and Harmon had nothing to do apart from catch a few crosses

Defence - Only tested really by long balls which were dealt with easily by Brown and Martin. Martin is very vocal.

Midfield - All good kept the ball moving and not afraid to pass forward - Stand outs for me Boatang looked a class above, first time seeing Archie Collins always wanted the ball and rarely gave it away, Law again neat and tidy always available not wasteful, good anticipation to pick up a blocked Stockley shot and square to Forte to score, Holmes and Taylor full of running and movement.

Forwards - Not yet convinced by MJ but took his headed goal well, Abrahams is quick and willing to run and harry the defenders, had two clear cut chances one forced a good save out of the keeper and second hit the post allowing Sparkes to put in the rebound. Stockley as per last season big, strong, took his goal well and everything stuck to him when played forward. Was impressed with Forte quick, knows where the goal is, keen to get in behind the last defender and probably most importantly for their first 45 minutes together worked very well with Stockley.
Cheers for the summary.

Boateng needs to kick on this season. He was mostly very good but did have games where he didn’t contribute enough, plus he needs to score a few more this time around but I am really excited to see how he does.

I expect Stockley and Forte will be the go to pairing to begin with and Abrahams and Jay will need to work hard off the bench to dislodge then.

jrg333

Some arty, "360-type" highlights available on the official youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lsIo3_X70

muppetdodger

Nice to see so much crossing going on! Never seen us put so many crosses over!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Deano as captain. Now there's an idea...

Crikey - I hope we're as clinical in the league season.

Of the coaches again couldn't see Andy Tillson. Who was 'AW' from the coaching staff? ( a few seconds before the end of the Youtube piece)

Last edited:

Heysham Mike

andrew p long;1733007 Who was 'AW' from the coaching staff? ( a few seconds before the end of the Youtube piece)[/QUOTE said:
Andrew Wiseman.

Grecian2K

If anything, second half line up looks even stronger. (4-3 to Truro then ;) )
Early doors yet I know, but having seem the clips, both sets looked damned impressive (and, best of all, HIGHLY ENTHUSED ... even at 6 up). Unlike some of the Tisdale early friendlies it did look like 22 playing for a place. And, though I know it's "only" Truro, remember they are still a mere two tiers below us...if you don't believe me, just ask a Torquay fan.

Geat interview with Lord Matt on the ECFC Twitter too...obviously pleased, but very level headed too.

Not getting carried away yet by any means but the starting line up vs Carlisle could be interesting?

IndoMike

I'm much more optimistic at the start of this season than previous ones because there is no Tisdale to fark around with team selection or to apply negative tactics, but it would be very premature to read anything from our first friendly match.