• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer targets in the summer

Rugby Grecian

Interesting comment on the Official sight by Tis re players Out of Contract "wanting to go" and others "!thinking about it". Do we know of anyone wanting to go, other than Morrison who realises he might not be staying?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting comment on the Official sight by Tis re players Out of Contract "wanting to go" and others "!thinking about it". Do we know of anyone wanting to go, other than Morrison who realises he might not be staying?
I doubt we'll find anything out until the season's finished, and probably then not until their contracts are actually up. I expect the only things we'll hear before then is whether anyone is definitely being released or has definitely signed a new deal.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we may know more from the team that Tis picks on Saturday. If a player isn't selected who would normally play and they are out of contract in the summer then it could be that they are already leaving. Sercombe perhaps?

milts

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

I expect as usual we will let everyone have the whole summer to sign a deal and we then miss out on all the decent players available.

ALOTBSOL

Whilst happy to note the inclusion of CRL and JMT amongst yours and other posters thoughts, I am sad that no one seems to give a thought about the emerging talent that is coming through from our academy. Go back 48 months and no one would have considered putting Matt Grimes in their selection, and look what happened there ! We blessed with a number of potentially excellent players seeking to make the step up, and yet by and large the focus is on players at the end of careers, are incapable of playing more than one game a week, and that we are paying to spend half their time in the treatment room !

Personally I would look to the likes of Ollie Watkins, who could be better than Tom Nichols, and Alex Byrne who I believe will be a "shoe in" to our midfield by the 2016-17 season, if he hasn't been bought in the meantime.
From my point of view, I'd like to see some senior players who can (in theory at least) definitely do the job for us next year, with the younger ones then having the chance to come up and surprise us a little. Much better to do it that way than to be relying on them so early in their careers. As long as we leave room for them to get the chance occasionally that is. Harry Kane is a prime example- Spurs bring in Soldado to lead the line, only to be pleasantly surprised when one of the youngsters steps up towards the end of a season, then kicks on to be first choice the next.

Red Bill

Cummins is going apparently

1995OD

Thank God for that, I imagine that'll take a decent chunk off the wage bill

LOG

Thank God for that, I imagine that'll take a decent chunk off the wage bill
He was (part?) funded by the 1931-ers so i doubt it.

Terryhall

Shame if so, I think he's done well for us this year. (both "us" ECFC and "us" 1931 fund)