• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer targets in the summer

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whatmough has been linked to Championship and Premier League clubs. Some of you guys are in cuckoo land over who can sign. Yes we have more money but they still need to be value for money.
Indeed, I agree.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tranmere goalie Owain Fon Williams would be my top target, along with defender/midfielder Abu Ogogo - both out of contract I believe. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Matt Taylor return, though whether he's the player of old remains to be seen. We also need a young left-back to challenge JamieMac and a box-to-box midfielder if Sercs is leaving. Upfront I'd bring in a poacher and target man - Cureton and Ryan Taylor?
We've got a promising young left back in connor riley-lowe. He's impressed me whenever i've seen him play.

grecianfaniow

Cureton unfortunately is due to sign a ****ing two year deal with the daggers :mad: hope this is post season bull****, love to have him back ere hes just one of my favorite players in recent years, come back curo!!!

Indeed, I agree.
Now is the time to be getting down to doing those deals and we should be in a much better position than we were last year this time.
Hopefully there won't be any vanity diversions this summer and as we have done much better in the league than expected then some players- unhappy where they are at the moment (for whatever reason)-might well be fancying their chances with us (known as a fair minded club?).
Whilst we can all dream of picking up a quality player for next to nothing on our humble budget, we should not be blinded too much by the apparent up front cost of aiming a bit higher in the recruitment stakes. We should be thinking of the likely return on our investment.Just getting an extra 50 or so on average on the home gate would bring in around £1k a time -enough to pay a striker £75k per annum rather than the less attractive £50k.
I can do the sums based on our wage bill but before I get shot down in flames -does anyone know average L2 wages-I know some clubs have (stupidly generous) pockets at this level which can distort the market.

tagz

One player who look decent and could be decent for you is Odejayi (Tranmere Rovers). Not the biggest goal scoring threat (6 league goals in 39 games this season) but was physically strong, led the line well on his own and brought other players into play. Out of contact this summer and I think he will get another League Two club this summer.

Like I said earlier not the best goal scorer but good in other aspects as shown in the 2011-12 season at Colchester (finished 10th in League One) he won Colchester Player of the Season having scored 5 goals in 47 games.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
does anyone know average L2 wages-I know some clubs have (stupidly generous) pockets at this level which can distort the market.
Here's the link to pay levels in all 4 divisions up to 2009/10. Obviously a lot higher now:-

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2011/10/30/revealed-official-english-football-wage-figures-for-the-past-25-years-301002/

kolokloko

He was the one who got away with that horrendous elbow on Wheeler away at Wimbledon wasn't he? I know we want a good old fashioned CB but this guy is a thug. No thanks.

tagz

Here's the link to pay levels in all 4 divisions up to 2009/10. Obviously a lot higher now:-

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2011/10/30/revealed-official-english-football-wage-figures-for-the-past-25-years-301002/
I was speaking to someone who is in charge of legal aspects of player contacts at a club in league two a few weeks ago. He said the wages for League Two is normally between about £1,000-£5,000 per week.

Last edited:

On the up

I was speaking to someone who is in charge of legal aspects of player contacts at a club in league two a few weeks ago. He said the wages for League Two is normally between about £1,000-£5,000 per week.
Think you've got your decimal point in the wrong place. Well not quite but still way out. Division 2 wages for the smaller clubs would range between £600 and £1300 per week. Obviously some of the clubs with the cash could well be paying £2k plus for the top 2/3 players. Just shows how difficult it is for a team like us to compete with the shrewsbury or bury teams.

1995OD

Was he confusing League Two with the Championship?