• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tranmere

Kirkby

Hi fella's. A longstanding Southern based Tranmere fan here.

Here's some tips and sugestions if travelling by train.

If you arrive at Rock Ferry it is a 15 minute walk. I'm guessing footballgroundguide have provided directions. There is a pub on the way called The Sportsman. The decor isn't great but it's a nice pub and away fans are welcome.
They do food and have Sky if you want to watch the lunchtime Premier League game.

I'm guessing the majority will be arriving at Lime Street?

There are several ways to get to the ground, though most of the local stations are a fair hike to the ground. Rock Ferry is mentioned above.

I wouldn't bother with Hamilton Square. Birkenhead Central (Which is on Borough Road) is about a 20-25 minute walk, or Conway Park is close to taxi ranks and the bus station.

If you get off at Conway Park, turn left out of the station and cross the main road after approx 100 metres. You will see the bus station to your left, and if you carry on straight past some shops, you will see a taxi rank. It's opposite a Weatherspoon's Pub called The John Laird. Typical 'Spoon's pub, opens early so old men can get cheap ale, and doesn't have Sky Sports. You can stumble out of here straight into a taxi, and if there's 3 -5 of you it will be cheaper than public transport.

Alternativey you can catch a bus from the bus station. Ask for Tranmere Rovers (Borough Road) or Singleton Avenue, which is about 100 metres from the ground.
If you're on a Singleton Avenue bound bus you will see the floodlights ahead but the bus will turn right at some traffic lights. you can get off here and walk up Borough Road or stay on a stop or two later and go into a pub called The Halfway House. Haven't been in there for years so can't tell you what it's like.

Even easier than pishing around with a train under the water then a bus to the ground is a direct bus from Liverpool to Borough Road or Singleton Avenue.

From Sir Thomas Street in Liverpool you can catch the 464, which I think takes you directly to the ground, or from Castle Street or Whitechapel you can catch buses 471, 472 and I think 71 & 72 to Singleton Avenue.
(Check Google Maps to find above streets, but only a couple of minutes walk from Lime Street)

On arrival at the ground there are two pubs within a few metres of the away end. The Mersey Clipper (opposite the main entrance of the club) and The Prenton Park (on the corner of Borough Road & Prenton Road West)
Both are away fan friendly. I'm sure the Prenton has Sky Sports, but I think the Clipper might have got rid recently, but don't quote me on that.

Going home I tend to jump a bus straight back to Liverpool from the old college, which isn't a college any more. It's new flats.
Walk back up Borough Road toward town and when you cross Singleton Avenue you will see a bus stop. Buses back to Liverpool are every 10-15 minutes, and will drop you a few minutes walk to Lime Street. Get off at the first stop after you emerge from The Mersey Tunnel.

Our fans are friendly enough but there will probably be a "welcoming committee" when you leave the ground. I wouldn't worry, they're just a bunch of kids who have watched too many Danny Dyer films.

Enjoy your day but I hope you lose.

Kirkby.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Our fans are friendly enough but there will probably be a "welcoming committee" when you leave the ground. I wouldn't worry, they're just a bunch of kids who have watched too many Danny Dyer films.
They like to brick coaches I understand?

jase 07

Was anyone planning to Fly ?
Not if they have got any sense given the current situation with the volcanic ash.

Kirkby

They bricked Aldershot's coach, but it was up near The Halfway House. As far as I know it was a one off.

If it's the usual lot they're basically a bunch of wannabe's and by all accounts when they've met proper lads they've had their cum-uppance.

They're just an embarrasment, and I wouldn't worry too much.

Many fans say that Tranmere is one of their favourite away days, but I'm guessing it's some City fans first visit seeing as it's been a few years since our path's crossed.

I'm sure you'll have a decent day out.

Red Alert

Staying in Rainford near St Helens for this one, new ground for me.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Tis very positive about our support ahead of our visit to Tranmere

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2025860,00.html

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tis very positive about our support ahead of our visit to Tranmere

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2025860,00.html
£14.50 to get in! Excellent value, and last time the admission charge was not a full integer was (I think) at Canvey Island!

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
£14.50 to get in! Excellent value, and last time the admission charge was not a full integer was at Canvey Island!
Really? I'll be the chap then dropping his change just outside the turnstile as I hunt for the 50p that I know I have in there!

Donna

£14.50 to get in! Excellent value, and last time the admission charge was not a full integer was (I think) at Canvey Island!
Bloody hell! NLM has organised travel at £12.90, so excluding fares across London* so far that's £27.40 for travel & match ticket! Bargain! Especially as the convoluted cheapo train trip means we arrive back in London late enough for me to not fancy a curry any more (so saving up to £20) but to just want to crawl off to bed as it's a pre-7:00am start from here.

* Bloody rip-off regularly overcharging Oyster card thingy ...

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Actually checked out the Tranmere site and it says it's £16.50

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~2025073,00.html

Sort it out Officialecfcthorpe....