• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tranmere sack Barnes

Forever7

Bit harsh?

lol!!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
LOL indeed!

Surprised it took so long!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~1821914,00.html

Not surprised theyve been bloody awful so far... Again Barnes has proved hes a shocking football manager imho

glos_grecian

Why wait til Friday?

Forever7

Apparently a "shellshocked" Barnes left Tranmere on a pushbike!!!

What I don't understand though - someone may have a theory behind this - is why both Barnes and Peter Taylor have been sacked on a Friday.... I mean, the respective boards of Tranmere and Wycombe have obviously been thinking about this for a while, yet the managers have been preparing their sides for weekend matches and they get told they are sacked on the eve of the game. Would it not make more sense to do it earlier in the week thus giving the caretaker more time to put one or two things into practice?

Agree Glos Grecian, you fast typing and to the point Grecian you ;) :D

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Tranmere aren't playing until Monday, but it is kinda odd. Same with Gunn at Naarwich before our match too, no?

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know I am in a minority but I feel a bit sorry for them on the basis that the players never wanted to play for them in the first place. The board are to blamve for sacking Ronnie Moore.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it is harder to win over a squad that may have been unhappy with the departure of a popular manager - and the Board must shoulder that responsiblity.

However, word is that some of Barnes' comments didn't exactly go very far in improving relations with his squad.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why on earth didn't the Tranmere board pay any heed to what Barnes did to Celtic during his ignominious time at Parkhead?

How could they forget "Super Caley Go Balistic, Celtic are Atrocious"?

Whatever our increasingly preposterous cousin in Pheonix would have us believe, Barnes is the cast iron falsifying evidence that just because you played the game at the highest level, doesn't mean you'll cut it as a manager...

samwise

Great players don't make great managers, do they?