• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay Utd PSF

Grecian89

Aaron Martin and Parkes were decent today, problems were either side of them. Deano done well to cover for their goal but then dawdled on the ball and got caught. Sweenz didn't have his best passing game. Their left winger missed two sitters at the far post from low crosses where they got behind Deano and we had to shuffle across.

After a slow start though we got going. Bowman was a constant handful when holding the ball up or chasing in behind. There looks a start of a partnership with Ajose who showed some quality moments, particularly for Williams goal from Bowman's flick. Hopefully he will get sharper as the season gets going.

Williams also showed the start of linking up well with Bowman and Ajose. He will infuriate at times and go missing but he can give us something extra in terms of pace and trickery.

I thought Jake played well today. Got about the pitch and was quick to the ball. A good break might have done him good.

Ward also looked good. Good punches under pressure and a smart save down to his right late on. Good kicking in general. Might need to be a bit more vocal although I was up in the stand so might not have been best placed.

Starting Sparkes at left back any time soon would be a big call if Deano and Woody fit. I would prefer Woody to start at the moment fitness permitting.

Overall, still need a few games I feel to find our feet and get right up to speed.
The full back positions are a huge problem imho. I think woody is our best defender in the left back position, but zero attacking threat. I love Sweeney, but I don't see a right back on him. He screams centre half! It's our Achilles heal in my opinion. No pace on either side.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt T made a special mention of Aaron Martin and sounded very satisfied. Think he'll be back in the 1st team.

Red Bill

The full back positions are a huge problem imho. I think woody is our best defender in the left back position, but zero attacking threat. I love Sweeney, but I don't see a right back on him. He screams centre half! It's our Achilles on either side.
Couldn't disagree more! Woody can put a ball on a sixpence from anywhere in the opponent's half but can be turned inside out by any attacker with a bit of pace. IMO he's by far our most effect defender when wete on the attack and cant believe it goes un-noticed so often. Still my favourite defender down the left and id pck him over Moxey every time at LB, but we need someine to take his place as he isn't getting any younger.

Rosencrantz

The full back positions are a huge problem imho. I think woody is our best defender in the left back position, but zero attacking threat. I love Sweeney, but I don't see a right back on him. He screams centre half! It's our Achilles heal in my opinion. No pace on either side.
The way we set up to play, we need full backs who can defend first and foremost as we don't really have a holding midfielder who can cover the gaps left by an overlapping full back without leaving our midfield exposed.

If we go away from 4-4-2 then it is different.

Grecian Max

Pretty much agree with all of that but thought Ward looked shaky. More than once in the first half he came over the top of players to get to the ball and failed to connect.

Anyone know who we're playing on Tuesday behind closed doors?
Really disagree with Ward looking shaky! And he made some quality saves, great one from the free kick and a brilliant one down on the ground soon after. Strong in the air and decent punches clear when required. Couldn’t do anything about the goal. Distribution good from feet and hands. Odd comment.

Grecian Max

Sweeney is actually *****.
Williams was great I thought, very important player for us this year.
Bowman and Ajose need work on their partnership, they were miles away from each other at times and didn’t really link up.
Aaron Martin played well... personally would be happy to see him back.
Sparkes needs to play instead of Moxey who was shocking again.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It must be Moxeys final year of his 3 year contract?

He's a centre half these days not a full back, and a bloody good one as well.

I'd start him at centre back with Parkes. Let Woody and Sparkes fight it out for LB.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'd start him at centre back with Parkes. Let Woody and Sparkes fight it out for LB.
I was not at the game today but agree 100% with you regarding what is now Deano’s best position.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

Moxey isn't a good centre back.

He isn't quick, he isn't strong, he isn't good in the air, his distribution isn't great.

Why is he a good centre back ?

Also playing him with Parkes would be suicidal, they are both very left sided players.

Moxey shouldn't be in the first eleven, he's been a weak link since Tisdale resigned him two years ago (and he's getting weaker).

Ash

Moxey isn't a good centre back.

He isn't quick, he isn't strong, he isn't good in the air, his distribution isn't great.

Why is he a good centre back ?

Also playing him with Parkes would be suicidal, they are both very left sided players.

Moxey shouldn't be in the first eleven, he's been a weak link since Tisdale resigned him two years ago (and he's getting weaker).
Unfortunately all the evidence points to TPC being correct. He's ok as centre back cover but no better than that. Parkes and Martin far better, yet to see enough of Warren or Cundy to know for sure if they should also be ahead of him. As a left back he's been pretty much hopeless since the beginning of last season and he should be behind both Woody and Sparkes in the pecking order comfortably.