• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tom Carroll

AndyR

I like to see a strong spine in a team. We’ve missed that this season. Vil has certainly fulfilled the keeper part well and Aimson in general is a solid centre half. Needn’t say anything about the striking dept!

Carroll isn’t your commanding midfield presence. Woods imposes himself more and does more talking during the game, he can tackle and his passing is quality.

If we can get Woods in next season I’d let Carroll go and have Cole/Woods in centre mid with Woods being the midfield part of the ‘spine’ and Cole working his magic further up the pitch.

Charlie Cummins will be coming through in time as might Pedro and Jake Richards but we’d probably need one/two more experienced midfielders if Kite, Carroll & Taylor are released.
I can't see us releasing Carroll, he plays virtually every game. More likely I think is that we offer him a new deal but he'll move on of his own accord. Personally I hope he stays as he's a class player and even if we signed Woods or someone of similar quality, we need a good squad.

Mid Devon Grecian

I can't see us releasing Carroll, he plays virtually every game. More likely I think is that we offer him a new deal but he'll move on of his own accord. Personally I hope he stays as he's a class player and even if we signed Woods or someone of similar quality, we need a good squad.
Tricky one isn’t it. Woods has really added something in recent games. Cole is on the bench. Carroll plays week in week out.

Personally I want Woods in the defensive midfield role and Cole doing his stuff further up the pitch.

Assuming we can get Woods again then I see Carroll as the least impactful of the three and he’ll not be on small money either.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Carroll has been good player for us, loved the quick 1st time pass for the Harris goal vs Cheltenham and thought he was MOM on Good Friday, I don’t get all the Carroll haters on here
I think he gets a bit too much stick, probably because he's 'a name' and has played in the Premier League so expectations are naturally going to be quite high.

I think he's decent enough - I wouldn't mind if we offered him another deal, I also wouldn't be overly fussed if we didn't.

I think it'll depend on how expensive he is, does his salary match the performances we get out of him? Will have to trust the club to make that call.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tom Carroll is one of those “glue that holds things together” type of players…To start next season with Cole, Woods and Carroll would be almost the most perfectly weighted and balanced midfield we could have…If that’s our midfield come August I’d be highly delighted.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tom Carroll is one of those “glue that holds things together” type of players…To start next season with Cole, Woods and Carroll would be almost the most perfectly weighted and balanced midfield we could have…If that’s our midfield come August I’d be highly delighted.
Hmm, I do think we lack legs in midfield.

Mid Devon Grecian

Caldwell doesn’t play three centre mid though does he. He’s pretty glued to his system so unless one of them was played as one of the ‘10s’ they couldn’t be accommodated. The only one who would potentially fit a 10 would be Cole but I’d rather have him creating for the 10s and 9.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caldwell doesn’t play three centre mid though does he. He’s pretty glued to his system so unless one of them was played as one of the ‘10s’ they couldn’t be accommodated. The only one who would potentially fit a 10 would be Cole but I’d rather have him creating for the 10s and 9.
But having three quality CM's mean we can rotate as I can't see Caroll or Woods playing 40 games each?

Mid Devon Grecian

But having three quality CM's mean we can rotate as I can't see Caroll or Woods playing 40 games each?
That’s the conundrum. Carroll has proved more resilient than we could have imagined, and has been almost ever present this season. He’ll be on good money. Woods would be at the top of our budget if we could tempt him to sign. Cole is quality and am sure he’s had a pay rise when signing.

For me Woods and Cole bring more to the team. Maybe we can squeeze them all in and keep them happy, if so I’d be pleased with that outcome.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Woods will still be under contract at Hull next season so unless they're happy to just let him go we would have to pay a fee.

He's also going to be on Championship wages so will likely have to take a drop to join us.

I think our only hope is another loan but I can't see it personally.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Woods will still be under contract at Hull next season so unless they're happy to just let him go we would have to pay a fee.

He's also going to be on Championship wages so will likely have to take a drop to join us.

I think our only hope is another loan but I can't see it personally.
why not? Hull don't want him and therefore unless another L1 club come in to buy him in the summer then why not?