• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale or Westley ?

grecianred

PS Mr T if you are reading and you need anyone to come in, purely on an advisory basis a la Ken Furphy, my City team on Football Manager 2012 is sitting pretty in the Prem...

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Malcs : I feel morally obliged to pick you up on your spelling as you did with Edwin Price. I've added your name to the list on the Wall of Shame...
Thanks Mike, those damned apostrophes.

IndoMike

Thanks Mike, those damned apostrophes.
You're welcome. I got clobbered by Alistair 20000 soon after : he's even more rabid than I am ;)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hate to state the obvious but it seems to me Tis has run out of ideas somewhat this season. I will keep the faith in the hope he can turn it around but shirley the blindingly obvious question to ask those still in his thrall is this: if Wesley is so one dimensional, how come tactical geniuses (or genii if that's the plural) such as Tis can't get close to them. They've already beat Wendies and Utd at home this season and I can't remember our last away win by more than one goal...

I don't know, I really don't want to be all negative but we are devoid of any creativity or pace and the one player with any real endeavour: Dunne can't pick a pass.

Sorry I will try and end on a positive note, I still like Tisdale's dress sense and I'd like to think there are still four worse teams than us, well technically if not physically.
We beat Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield away last season.

One trick ponies all have there time in football. What i tend to find happens with one trick ponies like Westley is that once they reach good level is eventually teams learn how to stop them and then pick them off.

We lost the spine of our team during the summer. We are in essence rebuilding now. This season maybe more or less a rebuilding year. Aim to stay up and bring through some younger players with the view to aiming higher next season. BUt this is all easier said than done isnt it. We are a small team in this division and will generally struggle within this division

Comparing us whove been here for 3 divisions to Stevenage whove been here for count them 22 matches. Sometimes people think to much about here and now rather than the bigger picture. If Stevenage get promoted then you have a fair cop. Even if they finish above 8th then fair play and people come here and whinge.

Just Imagine how Bradford, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Oxford Utd and Luton Town who are all bugger clubs than Us feel seeing Stevenage so high. Ahh wait i bet none of them give a flying sh*t!!!

Last edited:
We beat Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield away last season.

One trick ponies all have there time in football. What i tend to find happens with one trick ponies like Westley is that once they reach good level is eventually teams learn how to stop them and then pick them off.

We lost the spine of our team during the summer. We are in essence rebuilding now. This season maybe more or less a rebuilding year. Aim to stay up and bring through some younger players with the view to aiming higher next season. BUt this is all easier said than done isnt it. We are a small team in this division and will generally struggle within this division

Comparing us whove been here for 3 divisions to Stevenage whove been here for count them 22 matches. Sometimes people think to much about here and now rather than the bigger picture.

Just Imagine how Bradford, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Oxford Utd and Luton Town who are all bugger clubs than Us feel seeing Stevenage so high. Ahh wait i bet none of them give a flying sh*t!!!

SOMETIMES people think too much about the here and now ? Happens all the time in football. Some people genuinely seemed to think Arsenal were going to have a relegation battle on their hands because of their poor start, Alex Ferguson has been written- off more times than I care to name, Luka Modric was widely rated as a useless tw*t when he first went to Tottenham etc. etc. Nothing matters until things are done and dusted and just because Stevenage are better than Exeter right now - which is undeniable - it does not mean they will be better than us at the end of the season or the season after next. As has been patiently explained on here by me and a few others, where you are sitting in league at Christmas, while nicer to be where Stevenage are than where we are, means bugger all when the final league table is posted.

Mackster

Ignoring the "w*nker" factor, this is a battle between two footballing philiosphies. Westley favours power & physicality whereas Tisdale favours finesse & building up the play. Everyone would go for the Tisdale route if it actually worked, however this is the 3rd division and finding players at this level that can play successfully this way is fraught with problems because most simply aren't good enough.

After Gilly & Harley, Tis put his faith in the high risk strategy of Bauza & Noble, two players that have attributes to play the Tis way, but they are flawed, one by injuries and the other by his attitude to the game. Both would be playing at a far higher level if these flaws didn't exist, so this is why they are at City. Without them on their game we are a very poor team and the whole Tis footballing strategy just falls apart at the seams because we are only geared to playing one way. You watch City with your heart in your mouth right now because we are just an accident waiting to happen.

Westley adopts the physical approach because it is far less reliant on a couple of key players and he is able to rotate players without upsetting the balance of the team. It is the percentage game favoured by Allardyce, its not pretty but it will guarantee results.

So on balance I would say a Westley type team with pace & power is the far safer option if you want to succeed or survive in League 1. I just hope we can limp through the season, survive, and have a complete rethink on our strategy in the close season.

As for Westley the W*nker, the only ones looking like w*nkers right now are those who were at the 1st game of the season and were already arrogantly predicting Stevo's relegation.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Ignoring the "w*nker" factor, this is a battle between two footballing philiosphies. Westley favours power & physicality whereas Tisdale favours finesse & building up the play. Everyone would go for the Tisdale route if it actually worked, however this is the 3rd division and finding players at this level that can play successfully this way is fraught with problems because most simply aren't good enough.

After Gilly & Harley, Tis put his faith in the high risk strategy of Bauza & Noble, two players that have attributes to play the Tis way, but they are flawed, one by injuries and the other by his attitude to the game. Both would be playing at a far higher level if these flaws didn't exist, so this is why they are at City. Without them on their game we are a very poor team and the whole Tis footballing strategy just falls apart at the seams because we are only geared to playing one way. You watch City with your heart in your mouth right now because we are just an accident waiting to happen.

Westley adopts the physical approach because it is far less reliant on a couple of key players and he is able to rotate players without upsetting the balance of the team. It is the percentage game favoured by Allardyce, its not pretty but it will guarantee results.

So on balance I would say a Westley type team with pace & power is the far safer option if you want to succeed or survive in League 1. I just hope we can limp through the season, survive, and have a complete rethink on our strategy in the close season.

As for Westley the W*nker, the only ones looking like w*nkers right now are those who were at the 1st game of the season and were already arrogantly predicting Stevo's relegation.
A very fair and balanced post Mack.

Alistair20000

You're welcome. I got clobbered by Alistair 20000 soon after : he's even more rabid than I am ;)
I am a very kindly sort of guy most of the time Mike. You would have avoided the clobbering if you had left Malc alone.

He who lives by the grammatical sword etc etc.

IndoMike

I am a very kindly sort of guy most of the time Mike. You would have avoided the clobbering if you had left Malc alone.

He who lives by the grammatical sword etc etc.
Malc can look after himself, but you're right to correct me, as I will be when I sharpen my talons over your next error. He who lives by the grammatical sword...

Alistair20000

Malc can look after himself, but you're right to correct me, as I will be when I sharpen my talons over your next error. He who lives by the grammatical sword...
I thought you were off on a misalliance. :)