• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tis - I'm Embarrassed

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I think its fair to say he got the tactics and formations all wrong last night , but in the end of the day he's human and everyone makes mistakes....

He's done an incrediable job at Exeter , we have better players then i can ever remeber , Cureton , Harley , Noble , Taylor etc are quality but he needs to pick the correct "team" for the right occasions and last night he got it wrong....

The first leg , we was coasting and Logie despite not looking like scoring set up Curetons goals and was winning every header/physical battle on a soaking wet pitch , he took him off ? and brought O'flynn on from memory and from there Cureton who was playing on his own in terms of quality impact on the game was reduced and City invited more pressure and the equaliser came....

Last night he played with no width at all...4 Central midfielders will never work in a million years accross a 4-4-2 formation surely him and his coaching staff could see the complete lack of width and with the fullbacks sticking to there duties and not pushing on it left us totally toothless in terms of attacking Brentford....

Cureton and O'Flynn are both poachers/on the shoulder types....with Citys midfield that combination wont work because they both have there backs to goal too often...Logie should of started if Tisdale wanted that midfield to offer an out ball....

I know nothing , but even i can see that

Grecian_Jay

I think its fair to say he got the tactics and formations all wrong last night , but in the end of the day he's human and everyone makes mistakes....

He's done an incrediable job at Exeter , we have better players then i can ever remeber , Cureton , Harley , Noble , Taylor etc are quality but he needs to pick the correct "team" for the right occasions and last night he got it wrong....

The first leg , we was coasting and Logie despite not looking like scoring set up Curetons goals and was winning every header/physical battle on a soaking wet pitch , he took him off ? and brought O'flynn on from memory and from there Cureton who was playing on his own in terms of quality impact on the game was reduced and City invited more pressure and the equaliser came....

Last night he played with no width at all...4 Central midfielders will never work in a million years accross a 4-4-2 formation surely him and his coaching staff could see the complete lack of width and with the fullbacks sticking to there duties and not pushing on it left us totally toothless in terms of attacking Brentford....

Cureton and O'Flynn are both poachers/on the shoulder types....with Citys midfield that combination wont work because they both have there backs to goal too often...Logie should of started if Tisdale wanted that midfield to offer an out ball....

I know nothing , but even i can see that
For once you are not wrong. It is very alarming that us fans an see what Tis doesn't.

It is only him with the power to delve into the loan market and change the tactics. We can't do it so we need him to spot this.

His tactical naivity is frightening.

elginCity

Logie despite not looking like scoring set up Curetons goals and was winning every header/physical battle
Not how I remember it.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Not how I remember it.
When he took him off the game changed...

we took away the option of getting it foward quicker which on a wet pitch suited the game...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Jason, it's not good keep referring to games like Burton that were in the Conference. They were Conference players - we're now talking League 1 players who are on considerably higher wages presumably and from whom we expect more.

I am one who was disgusted by the team's performance last night, but I can't put all the blame on them. Tis selected the team and the way they lined up. Presumably he also dictated the tactics that were basically hoof it and hope that the two small forwards could run on to the ball that never cleared the Brentford defence. It was evident after 10 minutes that this was not going to work but nothing was changed - not even for the second half. I just do not believe that the players were playing their own game divorced from the tactics that Tis had laid down for them and if they were then he should have done something about during the game and should certainly be doing something about now.
I also flagged up a performance this season. What about Udders away last season. By all accounts miles worse than last night. Stockport at home last season. Oldham away last season. We were L1 for all of those. I don't count Brighton away last season as we played with 0 confidence rather than 0 effort.

Actually, on 10 minutes we were all over them, the ball over the top working very well as evidenced by Cureton's miss, the other one which was ridiculously flagged offside, etc.

For me the biggest failing, as I said in the other thread, was in the midfield not providing effective cover for the defence (which in itself was weakened by poor performances by both full-backs).

And hey, here's another revolutionary thought. Maybe, just maybe, Brentford were simply better than us last night?

older-codger

I don't happen to think that Brentford had better players (apart perhaps for Weston), but they were undoubtedly more up for it and took advantage of the poor tactics that Tis employed

I don't know if you were at the game but to suggest that we were on top for 10 mins. The fact is that the ball over the top rarely got over the top and Cureton's effort came from a ball played wide not over the top.

Devonbean

For once you are not wrong. It is very alarming that us fans an see what Tis doesn't.

It is only him with the power to delve into the loan market and change the tactics. We can't do it so we need him to spot this.

His tactical naivity is frightening.
A home game with a decent crowd and Wembley incentive, yet never up for it. Lack of pace throughout the team - full backs exposed - does Billy Jones realise he is a defender ? - completely unaware of where the opposition is - I personally would'nt pick him again.
Loan players a must - otherwise relegation beckons.

Grecian_Jay

A home game with a decent crowd and Wembley incentive, yet never up for it. Lack of pace throughout the team - full backs exposed - does Billy Jones realise he is a defender ? - completely unaware of where the opposition is - I personally would'nt pick him again.
Loan players a must - otherwise relegation beckons.
Yep agree with all that. Can't see him doing anything about it though.

IndoMike

I've come to the conclusion that we need to play twelve players : keeper, 4 at the back, one protecting the back four, two wingers, two central midfielders, and two strikers.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Silly thing is, I've seen us play a lot worse.

However, there is a time to come out and defend the players and look to the positives, and there is a time to harangue them. Unlike Nigel Clough with his constant bitching at his players (which has already forced Deano out despite being a fans' favourite), Tis has played it pretty cool and last night, while by no means the worst City have played, was one of those nights to fire up the team for the matches ahead.
Spot on.

If Tis had a whinge at the players everytime we put in an inept performance his negative words last night would have been of little worth. As he generally backs the team (even in adversity) his comments yesterday have far more value.

Still, Tis got it massively wrong by playing an understrength team on Saturday. The players who played in Saturday's humiliation (Duffy, Troy etc) looked shot for confidence, and those who were rested didn't look any sharper than usual. Bad mistake from Tis IMO.