• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time to go on Loan?

Saint James

We have 28 players listed in our squad - 2 are on loan so technically 26 if they return to their parent clubs. I would assume that Tiz would know his best team by now and around 21 players would comprise his squad for the second half of the season. Would it therefore be sensible if we could either reduce the wage bill of players unlikely to feature and/or aid the development of younger players if we could get some out on loan?

Which of these do you feel should be offered for loan?

Hamon/Olejnik
Alex Byrne/Kyle Egan
Troy AH (fitness reasons to go on loan?)
Tom McCready
Matt Jay
Connor Riley-Lowe
Joel Grant (if fit in time)
Robbie Simpson

Will we actively seek to get any out on loan or are we not as cash strapped as we may think?

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hamon loan - Olejnik release at end of season
Byrne - Egan - loan
Troy AH - Don't be silly
Tom McCready needs a run in our side to see what he can do
Matt Jay - Stay and fight for place
Connor Riley - Lowe - Not far away from the first team
Joel Grant - already important member of squad
Robbie Simpson- Make available for a free transfer NOW!

DanceMagnet

Can't disagree with much of that RD.

Saint James

Hamon loan - Olejnik release at end of season
Byrne - Egan - loan
Troy AH - Don't be silly
Tom McCready needs a run in our side to see what he can do
Matt Jay - Stay and fight for place
Connor Riley - Lowe - Not far away from the first team
Joel Grant - already important member of squad
Robbie Simpson- Make available for a free transfer NOW!
Ha ha I knew someone would bite with Robbie :) Tiz won't be letting him go anywhere I suspect but clearly the team are better when he isn't starting. He's 31 which for me should see him playing at the top of his game for 2-3 seasons yet but he looks like a player who is set to retire at the end of the season? As for the others I largely agree although I can't see McCready getting any action unless we get 3 or 4 injuries. Hamon, Byrne and Egan need to get out on loan even at Western League level. Matt Jay - can I see him forcing his way into the team? No if I'm honest so I think he ought to get game time elsewhere

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree with the OP that the squad will be too big unless reduced, now that the injury crisis has eased. I think we were told that the budget was used up before adding Croll,Stacey and Reuben. A bit will of course depend on whether Stacey and Croll's loans are extended/renewed.

Of course the big issue is that there needs to be a club that wants to borrow one of our players and - presumably- pay his wages.

I think Tis is on record as saying that he'd loan out one of the keepers not in the team. It would be great if youngsters like Egan and Byrne could get game time elsewhere (WSM?)

Otherwise I agree with RD, save that Jay will depend on whether Watkins stays. I'd hope that torquay might want him to boost their squad. McCready hasn't kicked a ball for nearly 6 months due to injury so it will be a while before he's available to play 90 minutes

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Loans out to the national League aren't restricted to the transfer window I thought?

I think Egan and Byrne would benefit from some first team football, maybe the likes of Toby Down and Jordan Storey as well. Do we know if they have already been offered out but no interest from Clubs?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see Stacey's loan extended but with JMT and Brown (plus Sweeney and even TAH) now fit there's no need for Croll to stay.

One of the keepers should go out on loan (with an instant recall clause), Byrne and Egan out too to get some match experience. I like McCready so would be inclined to keep him here but a loan spell could be good for him to get back match fitness.

Like Andrew, I think Jay might depend on the outcome of Watkins' whereabouts in the window.

Well-known Exeweb poster
hamon defo needs a re callable loan, shame him not getting any first team games from what i saw the lads a decent keeper and deserves to be playing. thinking of times we borrowed people its been generally to fill holes in our team/squad dont think it'll be wise chucking him in to a team that needs and or expecting 90 mins my thoughts are he needs handling gently 10 mins then 20 , building up to a full 90, get him ready for the final 3rd of the season and a ready troy will be IMO a HUGE plus. . barring grant and perhaps homer no else will be missed so loans would be about right.

From what I have seen of Matt Jay (admittedly little) he will not make the grade.

Just a personal opinion but do not think he has the ability to push forward.

Hope I am wrong.

Saint James

From what I have seen of Matt Jay (admittedly little) he will not make the grade.

Just a personal opinion but do not think he has the ability to push forward.

Hope I am wrong.
Have to say based on what I saw at Willand in the Devon Bowl where given he was the most 'experienced' player in the team he didn't seem to offer a great deal. However, many people (myself included) though Tiz mad to retaining Tom Nichols as long as he did as it took him an age to 'bloom'. I'm hoping that this is a similar situation with what he produces at the training ground being to the manager's liking? I can't but help he is another Chris Shepherd who was kept on for at least two more seasons than he should have..