• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Isn't there something so majestic about that?

Colesman Ballz

That is such a more appropriate sight on the sea wall, rather than some LMS or other "foreigner". It certainly puts the "Glorious" back into Devon ! :)

Grecian2K

It certainly puts the "Glorious" back into Devon ! :)
Not quite yet. We will have to wait for 50033 to make a visit for that .

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was a Class 47, and I expect it is shadowing the run in case of a breakdown.
It was needed yesterday when 7029 stalled on Hemerdon. The Class 47 was following and banked the train away.

Colesman Ballz

Not quite yet. We will have to wait for 50033 to make a visit for that .
50033 will actualy get pretty close next month as she is booked to appear at next months West Somerset Diesel Gala (Thur 6th - Sat 8th). In 1993 Glorious worked a rail tour from Bishops Lydeard to York, but this will be her first ever proper visit, going all the way along the line to MInehead.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
50033 will actualy get pretty close next month as she is booked to appear at next months West Somerset Diesel Gala (Thur 6th - Sat 8th). In 1993 Glorious worked a rail tour from Bishops Lydeard to York, but this will be her first ever proper visit, going all the way along the line to MInehead.
I've never been to the WSR, I ought to rectify that. Shame it's not connected to the national rail network.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've never been to the WSR, I ought to rectify that. Shame it's not connected to the national rail network.
Seem to recall there was a bus link from Taunton station to Bishop's Lydeard at one time, very likely for gala days only. Don't know if there's anything nowadays.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Seem to recall there was a bus link from Taunton station to Bishop's Lydeard at one time, very likely for gala days only. Don't know if there's anything nowadays.
I checked their website and it says there should be a bus link. I might book the Thursday of the Diesel Gala.

Colesman Ballz

It is connected, albeit at present there are no scheduled services, although that may change in future. Pre Covid Great Western ran some trains from Taunton to Bishop Lydeard on a trial basis. There are quite a few rail tours run through and onto Minehead. For example the Rail Touring Company is operating its West Somerset Steam Express on Saturdays 20th July, 10th August, and 14th Sept. Steam hauled from Paddington to Bishops Lydeard with pick ups at Slough and Reading. The loco comes off for turning and servicing whilst WSR engines take the train on to Minehead and back with a stopover there.