• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Three game ban for Atangana

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would have thought dangerous play would suit the crime better than violent conduct.

Quite so Ian. You wont see a clearer example of it than that. And as far as I know, dangerous play still carries a straight red and a sending off, plus 3 match ban. The 'still' produced of that incident is misleading, at no point were both players legs in identical positions as would seem the case in the picture. Atangana got what he deserved right under the referees nose; running your studs from just below a players knee to his instep is still as dangerous as it ever was. Suggesting it might be appealed is laughable, dont waste a stamp.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite so Ian. You wont see a clearer example of it than that. And as far as I know, dangerous play still carries a straight red and a sending off, plus 3 match ban. The 'still' produced of that incident is misleading, at no point were both players legs in identical positions as would seem the case in the picture. Atangana got what he deserved right under the referees nose; running your studs from just below a players knee to his instep is still as dangerous as it ever was. Suggesting it might be appealed is laughable, dont waste a stamp.
Pete is right. Endangering the safety of an opponent is classified as serious foul play which is punishable by a 3 match ban. I know Taylor said we would consider an appeal, however having seen the incident a few times now, I really can't see an appeal being successful.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tend to side with the liklihood that an appeal would be turned aside should we go ahead, as has been mentioned there are matches for Nigel to keep his match sharpness over the next three games with the Leasing.com and U23 games. The Midfield role which he occupies, although he would be one of the first selected normally, does have sufficient good cover so I think we would have to bite the bullet and move on

Colesman Ballz

If he plays against Ipswich on Saturday a two week break before Cambridge will do him no harm at all as long as he’s training fully in between.
You have lost me here RD, he is banned for the next three League games, v Camb (H), Grim (A), and Colch (H). The next league game he will be eligible for is Port Vale (A) on Jan 28th. And that of course assumes that none of the intervening matches get postponed due to bad weather etc.

Red Devon

You have lost me here RD, he is banned for the next three League games, v Camb (H), Grim (A), and Colch (H). The next league game he will be eligible for is Port Vale (A) on Jan 28th. And that of course assumes that none of the intervening matches get postponed due to bad weather etc.

Don’t worry CB I’ve completely lost myself with that one...goodness knows what I was thinking.

Boyo

I think the initial decision was harsh but unless there are other camera angles showing a different perspective it won’t be overturned. The frustration is that there are fractions of seconds that are important here. IF Nige had been marginally quicker or the other lad fractionally slower, then the red card would have gone to their player. It really is that tight and why many will think it’s harsh.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the initial decision was harsh but unless there are other camera angles showing a different perspective it won’t be overturned. The frustration is that there are fractions of seconds that are important here. IF Nige had been marginally quicker or the other lad fractionally slower, then the red card would have gone to their player. It really is that tight and why many will think it’s harsh.
That is how I see it. Harsh but probably the right decision.

jrg333

running your studs from just below a players knee to his instep
What an emotive, inflammatory, exaggerated, and frankly stupid way of describing a case of someone being slightly late for a 50:50 ball.

Any midfielder in the league would have gone for that ball using pretty much the same technique as Nigel did. To suggest that he ran or raked his studs on purpose is laughably over the top.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
So he's basically out for a month which isn't great when you consider our form has coincided with his form.

andrew p long

Can anyone confirm whether the ban includes the EFL game v Ipswich? I remember a similar issue with Jake Taylor’s ban , but get confused about the different rules for different competitions. If he isn’t banned and as he also only played 46 minutes on Wednesday then perhaps we need him to make up Saturday’s numbers.