• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thoughts on Plymouth win from a neutral

Gabriel

With signings like Holmes and Olejnik I get the sense the club is aiming for more than just staying in the league. Was impressed with Holmes against Stanley, reckon you've missed him when he's been out?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't know why you've put that - I sense your club is aiming for more than just staying in the league? I think everyone is aiming for that and would very much doubt anyone would think merely staving off relegation would be deemed a success.

Gabriel

Anthony I agree with you, I've said Exeter should be challenging for the play-offs.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheers Terry.

So if for your fans Tisdale will be judged at the end of the season, what is success/failure? Based on some of the signings you made in the summer I wouldn't have thought your squad should be too far off top 7.
Your report is well-written and an interesting analysis of the game.

It's clear that Tis's customary detractors have not changed their position because of this result. When you pose the question "What would it take to change that?", convincing form throughout the season at home might help, promotion or at least the playoffs might help, but the fact is when we were bottom half in Lg 1 in our best season under Tis before the final run that almost took us to the playoffs, there were plenty of people slagging off Tis on here, particularly for playing Marcus Stewart, who added composure and mental toughness to our midfield but was only seen as an "old boy" mate of Tis by those who want direct, more physical, more aggressive play and less "fannying around". Most clubs in the lower divisions have a vocal set of fans who want this, although it is unknown how many people like me have appreciated Tis' style, because when we are off form the noise is deafening on here from his critics, but I have met quite a few people on my visits to the Park who can't stand the negative vibes on here and therefore hardly ever post. We didn't have any right to expect a win at a local neighbour paying their players wages ours can only dream of, and this win was a remarkable achievement. I'm excited and as optimistic as I have been since Day One of this season about promotion, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for those who can't stand Tis' style of play to change their minds.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
With signings like Holmes and Olejnik I get the sense the club is aiming for more than just staying in the league. Was impressed with Holmes against Stanley, reckon you've missed him when he's been out?
Our left side is often our weakness - both our left backs are slow, and we don't really have a left wingback or defensively minded left sided midfielder. This sometimes leads us to being caught out. Moore-Taylor ideally should be left CB not LB. Holmes, Alex Nicholls and Ryan Harley are all good players, but none of them are really suited to the left DM role. Harley did a good job there in our win at Pompey but he'd be wasted there in most games, as Saturday shows, and does tend to drift sometimes. Nicholls does track back, but isn't great positionally.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Antman, have no problem believing Plymouth should have a higher budget as they get bigger gates. They have however been recovering from big financial issues which they nearly didn't survive. Is there anything in the public domain to suggest how much higher their budget maybe? This is the context which is often lacking when budgets are discussed.

rick whitemore

Tisdale/ Tiswas are one of the same, both came from 80's had no dress sense and not a clue what's going on. The only difference is Tiswas was sacked while Tisdale is unsackable due to his pathetic contract that suites no one except for Tisdale!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
tisdale/ tiswas are one of the same, both came from 80's had no dress sense and not a clue what's going on. The only difference is tiswas was sacked while tisdale is unsackable due to his pathetic contract that suites no one except for tisdale!
this is what we want!!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Antman, have no problem believing Plymouth should have a higher budget as they get bigger gates. They have however been recovering from big financial issues which they nearly didn't survive. .
I'm not being funny but I really don't understand that first sentence. Do you mean I shouldn't have any problem believing that (clearly I believe it)? Do you mean I should question it as a fact (they employ Reuben Reid and a few others that wouldn't be at the club if they paid what we do)?

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I'm not being funny but I really don't understand that first sentence. Do you mean I shouldn't have any problem believing that (clearly I believe it)? Do you mean I should question it as a fact (they employ Reuben Reid and a few others that wouldn't be at the club if they paid what we do)?
No I mean that I think it's likely they have a bigger budget due to better gates, but we know about their financial trouble so I would expect Brent is more careful about things than some owners. I was taking issue with the bit that said they have a budget we can only dream of, do you know roughly how much more than spend on wages? As we have more players as well I would question if the difference is huge or not. I guess things like this we are unlikely to know for sure.