• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thoughts from a neutral

Gabriel

Grecians fans,

Written up some thoughts ahead of your game at Grimsby - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2017/grimsby-v-exeter-successful-festive-runs/

Kudos to those of you who are going up there - bit of a trek! Just wanted to ask if you think this impressive run is sustainable, and has it changed fans views on Tis?

All the best for the rest of the season.

Red Bill

The recent upturn in form has been fantastic and Tisdale deserves full credit for it. What I've seen recently which has been absent from our play for several years has been an increased physicality and desire and a will to get the ball forward more quickly. We also look more solid in defence than we have for some while. IMO if this continues we have a far better chance of the improvements lasting.

Is this sustainable? Well experience of the last 5 or 6 seasons would suggest not. There have been promising spells like this pretty much every one of the seasons since relegation but unfortunately we've learned that more often than not, there's an equally dire spell waiting just around the corner. I want my club to be successful so I hope that this time things will be different, there will certainly be plenty of Tisdale fans coming back out of the woodwork to hail him as the messiah again right now but it will take something far more sustained than a run of 7 or 8 games to change my opinion that Tisdale's ethos and tactics have gone stale and that his time is up and should go. However my feeling about Tisdale aren't the result of a personal vendetta against him but simply a result of me wanting the best for the club I've supported for nearly 50 years, so if he can turn things around and become the manager he was during his first five years, i'll be more than happy to give him full credit and get back behind him again.

Gabriel

The recent upturn in form has been fantastic and Tisdale deserves full credit for it. What I've seen recently which has been absent from our play for several years has been an increased physicality and desire and a will to get the ball forward more quickly. We also look more solid in defence than we have for some while. IMO if this continues we have a far better chance of the improvements lasting.

Is this sustainable? Well experience of the last 5 or 6 seasons would suggest not. There have been promising spells like this pretty much every one of the seasons since relegation but unfortunately we've learned that more often than not, there's an equally dire spell waiting just around the corner. I want my club to be successful so I hope that this time things will be different, there will certainly be plenty of Tisdale fans coming back out of the woodwork to hail him as the messiah again right now but it will take something far more sustained than a run of 7 or 8 games to change my opinion that Tisdale's ethos and tactics have gone stale and that his time is up and should go. However my feeling about Tisdale aren't the result of a personal vendetta against him but simply a result of me wanting the best for the club I've supported for nearly 50 years, so if he can turn things around and become the manager he was during his first five years, i'll be more than happy to give him full credit and get back behind him again.
One of the things that puts me off Tis is that he seems to prioritize developing players over short-term results. He talks about the importance of sustainability, yet takes a not inconsiderable wage himself. In the first few months of the season, I thought he appeared tired and out of ideas in interviews, but you've got to give him some credit for turning things around.

Ashford Grecian

Just wanted to ask if you think this impressive run is sustainable, and has it changed fans views on Tis?

All the best for the rest of the season.
Hasn't changed my opinion of Tis in the least, I always believed he was the best man for the job....

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hasn't changed my opinion of Tis in the least, I always believed he was the best man for the job....
"Was" being the correct word :p

LL

astraltrader

Well put Bill. I agree entirely with this.

Ash

This post represents my views almost perfectly. Well said!

Recent upturn is great and indeed Tisdale deserves credit. However it will take more than a few good games to change my opinion of him. We have been here before many times and will be here many times again. When we were doing crap I said that we will go on a decent run and climb the table and all would be good again until the next ****e spell.

Lets see where we are at the end of the season.

CWH-NYC_

I am reading about a touch of snow for a few days, so I guess it will be PP?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am reading about a touch of snow for a few days, so I guess it will be PP?
They've got the covers on and think the game will be played.