• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The WickidPedia "blackout"

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Got caught out when looking up how many times Northwich Vics had gone to the wall. Given my political leaning quite a lot of my regular sites were blacked out yesterday.

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wikipedia is for those that know bugger all about anything. I would guess many of the dirty, lazy student types on here use it alot
I use it quite a lot but I always cross reference with a proper site, as wiki is open to abuse by some people.

Bondy

Exeter - views are my own and not representative o
I got on it fine despite the blackout. Allowed me to research Toshihide Saito

Grecian_Harry

Wikipedia is for those that know bugger all about anything. I would guess many of the dirty, lazy student types on here use it alot

If there is a subject you know nothing on, Wikepedia is the perfect place to start for. In Anatomy and Physiology today i had to look up what Para-systematic nervous system was, a very hard area of the subject. Wikepedia told me what it was, i can't imagine you know everything.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Wikepedia told me what it was, i can't imagine you know everything.
I can imagine he thinks he does :p

Last edited:

Red the Paper

Banned
I can imagine he thinks he does :p
For once Matt your imagination is in tune with reality. ;)

Red the Paper

Banned
If there is a subject you know nothing on, Wikepedia is the perfect place to start for. In Anatomy and Physiology today i had to look up what Para-systematic nervous system was, a very hard area of the subject. Wikepedia told me what it was, i can't imagine you know everything.
Yes, but was Wikipedia correct?

I know of the Para- Sympathetic Nervous System (PSNS) which is activated by adrenalin but never came across the Para Systematic Nervous System.

mammooman

I'm not a huge fan of it but at the moment Wikipedia offers the most unbiased view on any subject. Anyone can add any view of info to a subject with key referencing. It's not like the news who can choose or told what to broadcast, it isnt like the papers who can omit balanced views in order to sell papers. Wikipedia can display it all, it has nothing to sell, nothing to gain.

If all this legislation passes then this info won't be free and all displayed. It'll be controlled by the governments. The beauty of our society is that we can make our own choices on certain subjects. It allows our mind to think in depth.

With the banning of certain sites, censoring of the internet and control over referencing of Wikipedia we end up reading what they tell us to read and become even more like sheep-drones. Has internet censoring worked in middle eastern countries? I thought that was one of the reasons 'we' went in, oppresion of the people and all that. Them and us. And in China, North Korea? There's more of a divide there between the people in power and the people on 'the ground' than anywhere else in the world.

They say information is power. Information is also safety and security. If we make infomation avaliable to those only deemed more important enough to read it then I can only see but trouble on the long term horizon. At least war would reduce the population I guess. Maybe that is the aim.

If the powers at be had wanted to nip the info source that is the internet in the bud they should have done 10/15 years ago, not sit around a table having 283 meetings on the subject all while this great information source increases in size.