• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The very first vinyl record you bought.....

jr1871

Here to be a vinyl pedant Pete, but the Norman Wisdom 78" rpm was a 10" rather than a 12, which was the standard at the time for 'pop' records. Most classical remained 12". Shellac (78 material) remained the material of choice until about 1954, when vinyl overtook. Albums remained 10", but only for a short period, by 57/8 albums were 12". Interestingly (well, possibly!) 78's continued until 1960, and the only collectable 78's are from the very last issues. R&R artists, Cliff, Fury, Vincent etc were pressed on both formats, but you had to special order the 78 version, meaning few were pressed, and values are high. For instance, the last ever Elvis 78 is worth circa 1k, and rarely comes up for sale, making it rarer than his early Sun singles.

Anyway, as a contributor to the Rare Record Price Guide (I have dealt in vinyl for 20 years) if anybody has anything rare they want valuing, ask away.

To answer Pete's question, Searching for the young soul rebels by Dexys, having heard it in WHSmiths in Chester, and thinking 'wow'

oldcity

The Jags - back of my hand 1979ish

MikeGrecian

War Of The Worlds-Jeff Wayne,used to spend hours listening to it and staring at the gatefold sleeve when i were a nipper:)

Mackster

Do Ya Wanna Be in My Gang - Gary Glitter :$

12" Single - Theme from the Invaders - Yellow Magic Orchestra [y]

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyway, as a contributor to the Rare Record Price Guide (I have dealt in vinyl for 20 years) if anybody has anything rare they want valuing, ask away.
I believe memoman has a 'mint' copy of Sgt Pepper that he bought at a car boot sale. I tentatively value it at £2.50, but would welcome your opinion.

grecian55

I get the sweetest feeling -Jackie Wilson( 1968 ),i will always be a soul boy at heart .

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I believe memoman has a 'mint' copy of Sgt Pepper that he bought at a car boot sale. I tentatively value it at £2.50, but would welcome your opinion.
When i was a yoof, we used to go the record fairs held upstairs in St George's market. Imagine my surprise at being able to pick up a copy of What Difference Does it Make by The Smiths, the one with the Terence Stamp cover rather than the re-shot one, for a mere couple of pounds. Convinced that it had to be worth at least £20 of anyone's money, i took it straight to the record shop that used to be in by Mad Meg's where i was offered a straight cash deal of 10p.

I still have the record.

Last edited:

elvis the pig

Can't be certain, but I think the first vinyl record I bought was (I don't Want to go to) Chelsea by Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

I think the first LP I bought was Squeeze's Cool For Cats.

jr1871

A number of factors with SP, a general 'first' Parlophone label with yellow writing, clean, with cut out insert sheet, and red wavy line inner sleeve, all complete and good, 60 quid stereo, 80-120 mono.

2nd pressing, with black silver label, with only 1 EMI box on label, mono only, 1969, 50 quid. Then, millions of 70's re-presses, black silver label, 2 EMI boxes just a few pounds, even in 'mint' condition.

So all depends if MM has a black/yellow original, or a black/silver repress.

Grumpy Grecian

exeweb.com friend
First single purchased - Elected by Alice Cooper
First album - Slade Alive

Circa 1972 I Think - those were the days.