• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The trust and the team.

greenawayr

It may also be worth considering an independent member on the selection panel to counter such issues

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Vision. Values. Philosophy. Ethos.

Dogma! :)

You've got to start somewhere, and I don't think it's unreasonable - or dogmatic - to look for a chairman who'll understand that there's an ECFC Board responsible for most strategic and operational stuff and a Trust Board which promotes/ensures (?) good governance of the ops as well as helping to develop (?) strategy.

Every organisation has its complexity, and that's part of ours.

PS: The (?) are because, while happy to defend much of the concept, I still need to know more about it all chaps.

Last edited:

Juan Kerr

Could it just be that maybe the Board members accepted Ms. Watts as an acceptable chair of a BSP club, reluctantly as a chair of a League 2 club, but not as a chair of a League One club?

My money is on the "independant" chair not being a woman.

It would have been nice to have seen some public recognition of the very good job Ms. Watts has done as Chairman over the past 3+ years during Saturday's celebrations.

greenawayr

Juan, I'd like to think that our board is not so in the dark ages as you suggest!

I think the board as a whole realise their limitations and are addressing them. An entirely healthy thing to do and shows that the interest of the club are being put first.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I suspect that Denise has many other calls on her time and at this point in ECFCs development, there is a need to bring in more resources into the role. By the sounds of it, the club are about to embark on ambitious plans to develop in all areas of the operation and it is important that the right people are in right place to see those plans through.

I feel that Exeter City Football club is in very safe hands. Long may that continue.

Red Nose

Just to throw a little curved ball into the debate regarding the new chair. How much are we going to pay this person?

Having read the thread, it appears we are after someone with experience at board level of a PLC, ideally in the construction industry. I'm guessing that a FT chair with those credentials would be asking for 100k p.a. as an absolute minimum.

Chris Phillips

The whole of this thread has been very interesting.

David made the observation about the Trust Board of Society evolving and others have indicated a need to know everything.

On occasions, it is impractical to communicate everything.

However, in the next few months there will be ample opportunity for any Trust member to get really involved simply by standing for election to the Board of Society.

For the past two years, we have successfully held annual elections. Last year, unfortunately, there were a low number of candidates who came forward and also a low turnover. The BoS will consider the turnout issue and whether we have to change anything to encourage members to vote.

BUT....if you are interested in the Trust model of ownership, want to gain an understanding of the Club / Trust dynamic and have an input to development of these issues, I would encourage you stand for election.

Instructions on processes and timescales will be circulated during the next few months so please come forward if this appeals to you.

Saint James

Just to throw a little curved ball into the debate regarding the new chair. How much are we going to pay this person?

Having read the thread, it appears we are after someone with experience at board level of a PLC, ideally in the construction industry. I'm guessing that a FT chair with those credentials would be asking for 100k p.a. as an absolute minimum.
They could ask for £100k but it would give a clear sign of their motivating factor for doing the job. This isn't a MD or Chief Exec full-time hands on role but is the Chairman of the Board - s/he would be overseeing those responsible for delivering on the strategy. This isn't a f/t position. Alan Sugar would be an ideal candidate but you have to cut your cloth somewhere.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm guessing that there is no shortage of this particular commodity at the moment so the price should be reasonable.

My question would be, why don't Tagg or Mellish want the job ? That is assuming the post stating that neither was interested was correct.

My view, CEOs are generally a waste of money, see Fred Goodwin, who feck up more often than they succeed. I would spend the money on someone young and fit to carry Alex Russell around the pitch until he can make his one telling pass for the season.

Saint James

Could it just be that maybe the Board members accepted Ms. Watts as an acceptable chair of a BSP club, reluctantly as a chair of a League 2 club, but not as a chair of a League One club?

My money is on the "independant" chair not being a woman.

It would have been nice to have seen some public recognition of the very good job Ms. Watts has done as Chairman over the past 3+ years during Saturday's celebrations.
I agree that Denise should be recognised for what she has put into the club over the past 3 years. However (imo) Saturday wasn't the time or place as it was about recognising the achievements of the manager and his team. That is why there was no Julian Tagg, Paul Morrish etc. etc. on the pitch either. I would suggest that some type of presentation at the first home match of next season may be more appropriate?