• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The state of the pitch

radiogrecian

I havent been to a home match for a while, but noted the following story in the E&E this morning.

What do people think of the pitch at the moment - is it just a case of bad weather?

Is our passing game really THAT good this season?

GUS Poyet believes Exeter City would he higher up Coca-Cola League One if they had a better pitch to play on at St James's Park.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the pitch looked alright. It's obviously got a bit of a battering recently with all the bad weather and is streets ahead of what it was like a few years back. I think that we'd be further up League 1 if we occassionally had a meaningful shot on target and worked the keeper ;) :p

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its a bit rich seeing its been the wettest November since records began. Well done to the grounds staff for getting any football played on there.

arthur

I thought the pitch looked alright. It's obviously got a bit of a battering recently with all the bad weather and is streets ahead of what it was like a few years back. I think that we'd be further up League 1 if we occassionally had a meaningful shot on target and worked the keeper ;) :p
Such cynicism in one so young! Tis stated clearly that the pitch was a huge handicap to us and I can't think why anybody would wish to question his judgement on this issue;)

LOG

I would imagine that playing on it is completely different to giving an opinion of how it looked from the stand.

That said, it looked pretty good to me considering the recent weather.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Pitch? My arse! Yes, it's wet, yes it's heavy....but having seen City play at Colchester (where the ball created spray every time it was kicked) and Stockport (where it was just as bad) we are lucky our pitch is as good as it is and it is perfectly playable. This crap is just a cop out for under-achievement frankly.

Noit sure why but we rarely seem to perform as well at home as we do away, even when we win, but I do know that it's got bugger all to do with the pitch!!

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pitch? My arse! Yes, it's wet, yes it's heavy....but having seen City play at Colchester (where the ball created spray every time it was kicked) and Stockport
Ahem, the ball created a plume of spray every time it was kicked on Saturday! Well, it did in front of the OG anyway.............

David Treharne

Three more thoughts on the subject:

Firstly in the three years or so of "the weather station" (see reports various in match day threads) there hasn't been a wetter week than there was last week.
Secondly the pitch is near arterial springs (hence the St Anne's Well) which do not help with drainage.
Thirdly,looking through the Club records back to 1990 it looks as though the previous regimes spent the absolute minimum on pitch maintainance,let alone development so unless that much quoted 'white knight' stumps up for a new surface and levelling there are always going to be problems when there's weather like there is today. Anyway, I'm appalled that Anthony Moxey hasn't posted here yet!

Gozzer

Tis was already unhappy with the state of the pitch a couple of weeks ago. After Saturday's game he called it a glue pot.

chunkymorrinmunter

I havent been to a home match for a while, but noted the following story in the E&E this morning.

What do people think of the pitch at the moment - is it just a case of bad weather?

Is our passing game really THAT good this season?
the pitch could be better,but i have seen a lot worse, no excuse for poor pens is it?