• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Sorry Horse And Head Dray

Red the Paper

Banned
I always considered the Horse and Dray to be like the Green Gables and more inclined to serve Class A rather than alcohol.

dhenley

I know, thats why I said 'opposite Belmont Park(ish). Just down from the Ropemakers, with The Mount Pleasant at the top of the hill, and then down over Pinhoe Road and under the railway bridge is the Queens Head .
The Mount Pleasant (now Henry's Bar)
the Queens Head (now The Railwayman)

Rog H K

I always considered the Horse and Dray to be like the Green Gables and more inclined to serve Class A rather than alcohol.
Talking of class and horses reminded me of one or two of my lessons I had at Exeter College. It was a catering city and guilds I was on and our lecturer could not find an empty class in the building! There were only 6 of us so he took us to the Pack Horse on St David’s hill next to the Church and we had our theory lesson there! Good old days! :p

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Talking of class and horses reminded me of one or two of my lessons I had at Exeter College. It was a catering city and guilds I was on and our lecturer could not find an empty class in the building! There were only 6 of us so he took us to the Pack Horse on St David’s hill next to the Church and we had our theory lesson there! Good old days! :p
Ah.. The Pack Horse. George and Lorna Kirby ran it. Both total alchie's but really nice people. A bunch of us used to walk down that lane from the Clock Tower Cafe to there and play three card brag most nights. Every once in a while, we'd buy a drink!

Grecian2K

But where will Brian take la Shaz now, next time he's in Isca?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Bit much G2K imho

Tada

Rog H K

The Old Horse and Dray is in Black boy Road. The road got It's name from The Black Boy Inn, a pub in that road that is no longer there, It was once known as the Bath Road. How many other roads in Exeter can people think named after a pub that is no longer there? Red lion lane and The Acton both in behind Sidwell Street are two more. (Both bombed by the Germans in 1942). Thinking caps on.

Last edited:

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just stick with drinks in the SJC as per usual, but thanks for your concern :D

LOG

I'm a fan of the Angel, Fat Pig, Firehouse, Oddfellows
Where's the Fat Pig?

angelic upstart

Where's the Fat Pig?
This is not the time to enquire about Barmy's missing sex toy.