• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Mid Devon Grecian

i hope they are plnning for the worst. They want Osborne out yet who will be paying next months wage bill in that scenario. Liquidation is a very real possibility given they are circa 5M in debt
At least they’re not £23m in debt like Fleetwood!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
and can't really get any worse.
I’m not so sure, they constantly surprise me with how bad they can get and how they manage to somehow outdo themselves each time

All very amusing

It is like purgatory being a Torquay supporter. Straddled with nefarious ownership who appear to have fans in checkmate. Boycott (which I am doing at the moment) and they have the excuse the club is unsustainable so give them the ground; attend and it just validates the long game the owners are playing. It comes to something when you feel like you hate the club you love.

And whilst the crowds are low in comparison to yours, 2200 in the NLS, when we’ve won once in 8 games, when the relationship between club and supporters is so broken and toxic, fans are boycotting and after 11 years of dismal failure, is pretty good going. Do you seriously think yours would be much higher in similar circumstances?

DB9

It is like purgatory being a Torquay supporter. Straddled with nefarious ownership who appear to have fans in checkmate. Boycott (which I am doing at the moment) and they have the excuse the club is unsustainable so give them the ground; attend and it just validates the long game the owners are playing. It comes to something when you feel like you hate the club you love.

And whilst the crowds are low in comparison to yours, 2200 in the NLS, when we’ve won once in 8 games, when the relationship between club and supporters is so broken and toxic, fans are boycotting and after 11 years of dismal failure, is pretty good going. Do you seriously think yours would be much higher in similar circumstances?
TBH, Those crowds at the NLS level is dam good going, As I put, The club is reflecting the town, It's all a bit crap and needs a decent council for the town and decent owners for the club, This new ground etc is a smokescreen by a crap owner but I do see a divided fan base. As for our crowds if we went that low, You'd be right imo and if we went that low (No disrespect) would be an utter failure of our trust imo. In Torquay's case I really don't know the answer atm.

Grecian Max

What are the Trust doing about it? Or other fans groups?

Why don’t Torquay follow what Blackpool did? I was amazed at how well respected that boycott was when we visited. Yes, you had a small group who still went (we can easily guess who would do the same on here in similar circumstances). But the ground was largely empty, a void.

They continued for a long period of time even though there were obvious risks

With Torquay now, what is there to lose? A phoenix club wouldn’t be too far off your level in a few years with 2k coming through the gate

The lack of action intrigues me

It’s clear as day what the ownership are doing, why are people still turning up for it and giving them money?

Stelios

Agreed when you compare somewhere like the Bournemouth area and Torbay in the 1970s and 80s and then now , there's no comparison.What the hell went wrong with the English Riveria?

This is taken from TripAdvisor
"I used to visit this town back in the 1970s and recently have been there a few times and could hardly believe my eyes.
Union Street is just full of social deprivation.
I couldn't believe the amount of people with alcohol and drug abuse problems just left to wander the streets. This is meant to be a resort town, yet it is rife with big inner city problems - it isn't even a big city.
Why don't the local authorities do more to help these people?"
Most 'resort towns' have similar issues. There's a huge drug problem in Bournemouth too behind the nice facade. Constant turnovers of people, sprawling holiday parks, empty bedsits etc. I once heard it's also because if you're sleeping rough it's warmer on the coast than inland which I'd never considered. Less likely to get frost on the coast in winter than further inland.

Spoonz Red E

Our average attendance over our 5 years in the conference was 3,635 so I reckon we'd get a core support of 2,800 to 3,000 if we were at Level 6.
However, that's by the by.
It's always the supporters I feel for.

It's been painful to watch the hi-jacking of your club by a 'project' that looked decidedly dodgy at the outset.

I remember in 2003 the very real danger of us not being admitted into the Conference and possibly having to restart from a much lower level.
Thankfully we got our act together enough as supporters to challenge that and start the long build back.

My wish for Torquay is that you get the chance somewhere down the line to do something similar but it is looking very bleak right now.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

The gates are holding but as Max says is merely compounding the problem of an owner with an agenda and a manager with a rolling contract the club can't afford. It's a long slow death and unless you can find some leaders to get the fanbase out of their apathy the club as you know it will die. Just changing the ownership in itself wont work not when its saddled with such debt. The only comparisons I can think of are Hereford and Barrow as similar sized towns who went to skid row, Maybe there are some bits of their stories you can copy or get inspiration from as look at Barrow now

Radio Free Skaro

thats a decent attendance !I can remember the Gulls getting that in L2!!! But you're right ours would be the same.

What's your observations in terms of what's gone wrong in the Bay as a whole in the last few years?

denzel

Good point, probably not. You should be doing much better in that league when compared to the likes of Taunton.
I still can't see why a new ground seems to be a priority for the chairman though, didn't seem much wrong with Plainmoor last time I went, maybe just needs sprucing up. Unless of course the chairman has wider ambitions not necessarily related to TUFC..

Wish you all the best, there is still a chance though the playoffs