• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

sign of the chimes

Their fan base has stayed static at around 2,500 which could be sustainable just at National League level but not above that
I think that's about right. On those gates if you got in to the NL and got lucky with recruitment, etc. you might be able to bimble around at the arse end of L2 for a couple of seasons, but without some drastic investment - either on the pitch or off it - you'd need to add another c. 60% to crowds to start establishing. I think there

I reckon L1 probably 6 - 7k; and even then you're relying on good recruitment and the odd gem coming through the ranks; or an owner covering a seven-figure loss each season?

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our fanbase hovered between 2500-3500 when we were shit. We're now averaging over 6500.
Two things will improve their attendances, One, Obviously results on the pitch and 2, Which I think is just as important is that the fans will feel welcome and part of the "Rise" of the club. With it being still in private ownership, The club need to keep the fans onside.

denzel

Genuinely don't know where they would get the extra fans from. I've worked in Torquay and in Newton Abbot, never met any Gulls fans from there. A few Exeter, Ar*yle (and Liverpool and Man U) fans though.

I know they used to get a few fans who thought it was a novelty that such a 'posh' place had a league sides and followed them from afar, would that be the case now?

sign of the chimes

Our fanbase hovered between 2500-3500 when we were shit. We're now averaging over 6500.
It's testament to what the Trust/your club has achieved over a fair amount of time that you've got to that point. Even if results go south for an amount of time, and you lose some of the newer fans,there's clearly a much bigger body of people with a tangible connection to your club than was the case ten years ago.

Always difficult to know as an outsider, but I get a sense that a high proportion of your support strongly identify with the club (i.e. not floating voters); and I don't think that's as typical as you might think - I assume it's because of what ECFC is and represents.

Bridgy 81

It's testament to what the Trust/your club has achieved over a fair amount of time that you've got to that point. Even if results go south for an amount of time, and you lose some of the newer fans,there's clearly a much bigger body of people with a tangible connection to your club than was the case ten years ago.

Always difficult to know as an outsider, but I get a sense that a high proportion of your support strongly identify with the club (i.e. not floating voters); and I don't think that's as typical as you might think - I assume it's because of what ECFC is and represents.
I started following City in the early 80s because they were the nearest league club to where I lived at the time.
And I was instantly bitten by the bug.
I was a virtual ever present for most of that decade then life events got in the way during the 90s.
If I’m honest I wasn’t so engaged during that period and into the early 2000s.
But our relegation to non-league brought me back.
Plus the formation of the Trust and the concept that we’re all in it together and are a bit different appealed too.
I haven’t looked back since, although as I’ve said before I’ve now developed a strange thing that I prefer and go to more away matches than home ones.
It’s nice though that my Exeter City ‘career’ has taken different twists and turns.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two things will improve their attendances, One, Obviously results on the pitch and 2, Which I think is just as important is that the fans will feel welcome and part of the "Rise" of the club. With it being still in private ownership, The club need to keep the fans onside.
I'm not sure there has ever really been that much of an 'appetite' in the Bay. Since 1980, over 40 years they have averaged above 3,000 only five times. It's always been largely apathetic down there

DB9

I'm not sure there has ever really been that much of an 'appetite' in the Bay. Since 1980, over 40 years they have averaged above 3,000 only five times. It's always been largely apathetic down there
I'm of the thinking that this whole administration episode MIGHT galvanise their fans to be more involved and maybe encourage more to go to games.

Exehausted

To be fair, I think the reason there hasn't been "much of an appetite" is the fact there is a large part of the population who have retired there from other parts of the country. I would imagine people over 65 moving there are less likely to start supporting them than younger people moving to Exeter. A quick look at the median age (not average age) the difference is quite stark. 49 for Torbay at the last census, up from 46 ten years earlier, while Exeter's has stayed almost the same at 35. I'm not making excuses for them, just trying to explain the problems they will have in trying to increase their crowds significantly, unless they achieve spectacular success.

STURTZ

According to Devonlive (Yes I know) Paul Wotton is favourite to become TUFC's next manager.
Terrible person but not a bad manager, certainly better than Gary Johnson! Wotton has done a good job at Truro in the circumstances and has shown he is very happy to take on City academy boys as loanees and improve their game.

The deluder

He bleeds green, but I'm not sure he is a terrible person.