• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's important to also reckon in that the positivity and impetus generated at the time enabled us to have, in short order, a team confident enough to beat two higher league teams, reach the third round and take Man Utd to a replay.

DB9

It's important to also reckon in that the positivity and impetus generated at the time enabled us to have, in short order, a team confident enough to beat two higher league teams, reach the third round and take Man Utd to a replay.
Football wise the most positive thing that happened to us and the benefits it brought off the field too. How the TUST raise the amount they need in a short time I have no idea, If they've got people who can give/loan what they need well done but after the initial "We've several potential buyers" to the TUST with a local consortium, It's not going to be easy, If they succeed in getting the club, I hope fans won't think it'll be a breeze to get back into the league or even get promoted back to the NL.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Football wise the most positive thing that happened to us and the benefits it brought off the field too. How the TUST raise the amount they need in a short time I have no idea, If they've got people who can give/loan what they need well done but after the initial "We've several potential buyers" to the TUST with a local consortium, It's not going to be easy, If they succeed in getting the club, I hope fans won't think it'll be a breeze to get back into the league or even get promoted back to the NL.
I see Torquay as similar to Hereford. I can't see either back in the football league unless someone puts shedloads of money in down the line. You can never say never as who could have ever seen Barrow doing as well as they currently are?

David Treharne

Out of interest, How long did it take to raise that £24k?
Two months. However, it's important to remember that at the time nearly everybody involved in the administration was a volunteer. Andy Gillard was probably the only one employed, given that Justin Quick was only employed when we started the process of CVA. You'd have to ask Andy when he finally changed from being a volunteer to being employed, but I think it was probably about that time.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Two months. However, it's important to remember that at the time nearly everybody involved in the administration was a volunteer. Andy Gillard was probably the only one employed, given that Justin Quick was only employed when we started the process of CVA. You'd have to ask Andy when he finally changed from being a volunteer to being employed, but I think it was probably about that time.
See, Two months for £24k and the TUST need £150k im weeks!

David Treharne

See, Two months for £24k and the TUST need £150k im weeks!
Don't forget that City were, at the same time, raising money through 'Red or Dead', but also cutting back on expenditure after two successive drastic losses. In 2001-2002 the Club had made a loss of £343,368 and the next year until the careful stewardship of R&L a loss of £624,538. The obvious way to go was to cut back on everything that could possibly be cut back on. This included playing staff, ground staff and using as many volunteers as possible to fulfil previously paid roles, which included things like ground announcer and backroom staff (which was why the initial sale of Man U tickets was so slow - it was done against a background of all volunteer sales team). Whatever tranpires a 'saved' TUFC will have to make stringent and wide ranging cuts and important decisions about players contracts.

Exehausted

Don't forget that City were, at the same time, raising money through 'Red or Dead', but also cutting back on expenditure after two successive drastic losses. In 2001-2002 the Club had made a loss of £343,368 and the next year until the careful stewardship of R&L a loss of £624,538. The obvious way to go was to cut back on everything that could possibly be cut back on. This included playing staff, ground staff and using as many volunteers as possible to fulfil previously paid roles, which included things like ground announcer and backroom staff (which was why the initial sale of Man U tickets was so slow - it was done against a background of all volunteer sales team). Whatever tranpires a 'saved' TUFC will have to make stringent and wide ranging cuts and important decisions about players contracts.
I think the reality will be that they will have to go part time, albeit with decent P/T salaries being paid. Apparently they have the money in place for March's wages, so three more months to find. Then cut right back. There are some decent P/T players out there and I can see them getting a decent team together. Keeping the youth scheme if at all possible could also provide a life line. I'm sure at the moment the task in front of them must feel like eating an elephant, but as everyone knows, you can only do it one mouthful at a time. I wish them all the very best.

DB9

Lost today 3-0 at league leaders Yeovil.

Spoonz Red E

Lost today 3-0 at league leaders Yeovil.
I saw they were 3 -0 down at 88 minutes and thought they could be in with a chance to salvage a point ...

DB9

I saw they were 3 -0 down at 88 minutes and thought they could be in with a chance to salvage a point ...
Yep, It's not like it's happened before. 🙂