• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another sports club uprooted by Osborne and facing an uncertain future. At least the Swindon Robins fans only face a 45 minute journey from Swindon to maybe watch their team at some indeterminate point in the future.

Boyo

So Torquay have three parties interested in acquiring the club. I've just had a poke around their forum, but no mention or clue as to who any of them are. Anyone heard or seen anything?

DB9

So Torquay have three parties interested in acquiring the club. I've just had a poke around their forum, but no mention or clue as to who any of them are. Anyone heard or seen anything?
Reading yesterday a thanks and update to TUFC fans they said they had "Several interested parties" but all have asked for a non-disclosure agreement, Which is understandable but in the same article they were asking for anyone interested in purchasing TUFC to get in touch. I'm still a bit perplexed that it's nearly 2 weeks? Since Osborne said the club was going into administration but yet it still hasn't happened?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Reading yesterday a thanks and update to TUFC fans they said they had "Several interested parties" but all have asked for a non-disclosure agreement, Which is understandable but in the same article they were asking for anyone interested in purchasing TUFC to get in touch. I'm still a bit perplexed that it's nearly 2 weeks? Since Osborne said the club was going into administration but yet it still hasn't happened?
Clearly trying to get some interest to see if he can get away with a little less pain, before the inevitable.

Mid Devon Grecian

Clearly trying to get some interest to see if he can get away with a little less pain, before the inevitable.
My thoughts exactly. He’s in for circa £5m of unsecured loans. If he can flush out someone who’s willing to pay more than he would get from admin then he’ll take that over the alternative. Understand the bank are owed around £600k, that’ll be secured so that would have to be dealt with by new owner then it’s just how much more he can eke out of them.

Long shot but if you were staring down the barrel of a £5m write off you’d try everything you could to mitigate.

DB9

My thoughts exactly. He’s in for circa £5m of unsecured loans. If he can flush out someone who’s willing to pay more than he would get from admin then he’ll take that over the alternative. Understand the bank are owed around £600k, that’ll be secured so that would have to be dealt with by new owner then it’s just how much more he can eke out of them.

Long shot but if you were staring down the barrel of a £5m write off you’d try everything you could to mitigate.
Understand that but when i hear a business is about to call in the administrators its normally for a reason, IE they're in deep trouble to sustain the business and at risk of closure and is done quite quickly, Surely Osborne is risking TUFC (And maybe his money if he gets any) by not appointing them soon, Quite often an Administrator is appointed quickly and gives the best chance to save a business in some form.

Boyo

Understand that but when i hear a business is about to call in the administrators its normally for a reason, IE they're in deep trouble to sustain the business and at risk of closure and is done quite quickly, Surely Osborne is risking TUFC (And maybe his money if he gets any) by not appointing them soon, Quite often an Administrator is appointed quickly and gives the best chance to save a business in some form.
Osbourne cares about his money. Whichever route leads to him getting the highest "payoff" is the likely route he'll take.

DB9

Osbourne cares about his money. Whichever route leads to him getting the highest "payoff" is the likely route he'll take.
He is not in the best position imo, If he does not appoint the administrator soon, The club in its current state will go to the wall because Osborne has said he will not fund the club anymore and the longer it stays like this without appointing an administrator, The debts keep rising, bills, wages won't be paid and any buyer would be less likely to come in and of course the FA/NLS will want certain guarantees that they can fulfil fixtures, Compete next season or they will act because all this affects other clubs regarding results, promotion and relegation places. If teams have took/lost points off TUFC this season and those points are expunged if they went to the wall it could cause mayhem at the end of the season.

Boyo

He is not in the best position imo, If he does not appoint the administrator soon, The club in its current state will go to the wall because Osborne has said he will not fund the club anymore and the longer it stays like this without appointing an administrator, The debts keep rising, bills, wages won't be paid and any buyer would be less likely to come in and of course the FA/NLS will want certain guarantees that they can fulfil fixtures, Compete next season or they will act because all this affects other clubs regarding results, promotion and relegation places. If teams have took/lost points off TUFC this season and those points are expunged if they went to the wall it could cause mayhem at the end of the season.
Osbourne doesn't care about any of the things you mention, other than how much money he can get back. He is in a terrible position and will lose most of his cash, whichever route is taken. He only cared about getting his hands on Plainmoor for redevelopment. Owning the club was his route to that outcome. He gambled big time and lost. The question is how much collateral damage TUFC will suffer as a consequence.

DB9

Osbourne doesn't care about any of the things you mention, other than how much money he can get back. He is in a terrible position and will lose most of his cash, whichever route is taken. He only cared about getting his hands on Plainmoor for redevelopment. Owning the club was his route to that outcome. He gambled big time and lost. The question is how much collateral damage TUFC will suffer as a consequence.
I agree, He lost his chance to redevelop Plainmoor when the council said no to the idea but by doing nothing and not appointing an administrator in the hope of these anonymous "interested parties" actually buying the club in the hope of getting a few quid back just does not make sense, If as you say he only cares about the money, Then even now he'll be disappointed because the club is worth zilch at the moment, £5m in debt, A points deduction on the horizon, in a part time, sixth tier league and no guarantee that they can full fill their fixtures.

As for the club, I'm still not seeing a galvanized, united fan base, Just a malaise of attitude, I could be wrong but there doesn't seem much fight there and too much hoping these interested parties will actually do something. I know i'm biased but in 2003 i saw real intent with the people and fans who wanted to save our club, Everyone was pulling in the same direction, I'm just not seeing this at TUFC.