• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Playing Budget

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We took an undisclosed amount for Reuben as well.

Last edited:

jimbo-gould

I think I am right in saying all of the money from Wheeler's transfer was made available to the playing budget, with Stockley and Boateng brought in with it. Whether or not it was all used, I don't know.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Dion't forget that some of the undisclosed fees will be paid in instalments. Apparently.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Were we paying for Paul jones?

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Were we paying for Paul jones?
Pay as you play.

Exehausted

People are being very unrealistic if they think that top Division Four players command £2,000 per week. Ruben was said to be on £3,000 a week from someone very reliable and he went to Forest Green on an improved deal apparently. He only came to us after he turned down £5,000 a week at Plymouth because he felt he was worth more. After 3 months with no money and a couple of failed trials at other clubs our offer was better than nothing. Doidge is said to be on even more than Ruben. Taggy said that we offered to make JMT our highest paid player, so you would imagine that would be £3K a week plus.
Back when we were in the Conference I knew a Director of a Midlands based club who were also in the Conference at the time. They doubled what they paid to their next highest player and paid a striker £750 a week. Their total budget was £450,000 a season and that was more than they could afford. At the time he said ours was £900,000 and Oxford's £1,200,000. We had offered this striker £1,000 a week but he turned us down because he wanted to stay in the Midlands. This was at the start of the 06/07 season that ended with us losing at Wembley. Given that Winkleman has said their wage bill is between £4.5 and £5 million, three times ours, it is quite possible that with signing on fees and wages he will earn somewhere between £6k and £7k per week. Is anybody still surprised that he left and would they not do the same in his position?

Andy Holloway

I believe we also got an extra £10k for him as FGR stayed up!

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
£20k apparently.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
£20k apparently.
The fish aren't biting ;)

Boyo

I’m reasonably confident that Deano is on £2.7k per week for 3 years. That over £400k in total.