• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Park Venue

hunter

Hi everyone, Ive been reading this forum for years and finally thought i would join in.

My daughter is getting married this year and i wanted her to have the reception at St James as i had mine there 24 years ago. The trouble is that The Park is so run down now, she has turned her nose up at the idea after going to see it last week. It was once a great venue, what is our club thinking? if they spent the money or ran it properly it would be fantastic, and I am sure the income would help fund the new stand or at least make it better in the short term.

Something more could be done or a private firm brought in to run and maintain as it should be.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The venue 24 years ago would have been the old Centre Spot...!...Now that was seriously run down.
The Park (Upstairs)as far as I know dId not open until 2001..Sure that's where you had your wedding in 1992..?

mumbo

Did you look at the Heritage Lounge?
It was only opened at the start if the season & is an excellent venue?

Elaine

hunter

The only thing my father in law and I agreed on was football, so I was overjoyed when he picked that as our wedding venue, no idea what is was called as he made all the arrangements and I have not been back since so cant tell you what it is like now, I just remember the place seeming quite grand. My daughter says its tatty and dirty and appears run down

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if you mean the reception room under the Old Grandstand?

Oldsmobile-88

Probably went into the Centre Spot(down stairs)..I must admit that is not particularly appealing..I have had hospitality upstairs & that has always been excellent food & surroundings,in my opinion..

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Have you any photos of the venue from the wedding celebrations? Might help people identify the location a little better.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Probably went into the Centre Spot(down stairs)..I must admit that is not particularly appealing..I have had hospitality upstairs & that has always been excellent food & surroundings,in my opinion..
But then that wasn't around in 1992/93 - the only common denominator as I see it would be something in the OG. There is the reception room there (at least one) but which is/are pretty grotty in the main, although given the OG is hopefully not around much longer it would be folly to refurbish.

Oldsmobile-88

Yep..I was just responding to the chaps daughter who must have gone up & seen the Centre Spot nowadays..

Colesman Ballz

It would be interesting to know if she booked an appointment to be shown around, as opposed to just poking her nose in on a matchday (downstairs perhaps).

If the latter, she could have missed the two potential venues upstairs completely. Alternatively could she be possibly making excuses to you, as she doesn't really want to hold the reception at a footy club, and is trying to not hurt your feelings ?

Anyway good luck to you and your family, at what could be an expensive time ! Modern day "Little Princesses" tend to have higher and more expensive expectations than those of previous generations ! ;)