• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The official York City v Exeter City match day thread

norfolk_exile

I have to say the blame does lie with Tisdale for yesterday's defeat. I know you cant account for your team not starting a match for 25 mins but you knew we werent going to win the game fromnthe moment the team sheet came out!

I didnt however leave the game in a pit of depression though. You can see the makings of a very good team once the new wave had come on. There is so.much attacking intent in the young lads and York (who are terrible by the way!!!) had no real answer and sat back for the entire half!

I firmly believe that if we do survive this year then next year will be very different! Deadwood needs to go such as Coles and Offline (who looks like a man shot in confidence, his utter disbelief when he hit th post was painful to.watch!) The signs are there, we just need to survive, and im sure we have enough about us to get the points required! No denying though - 6 points at home this week is essential!

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fingers crossed for the 6pts at home, you are right it's essential Norfolk.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
or respectiveltly at 18 and his first season as a full time pro they are on a learning curve and 5? games in ? weeks they r being used relatively sparingly? . nah sounds wrong doasn't it
I suppose the test will be on the Tuesday game then, think Tis will rest Grimes?

milts

Just seen the goals on the FLS. Dreadful defending from Coles.

How is this awful player our club captain?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
All the whinging about Grimes not being in the starting 11 remember he took a nasty head injury on Tuesday night and that could have easily played a part in the decision not to start him

Leads

All the whinging about Grimes not being in the starting 11 remember he took a nasty head injury on Tuesday night and that could have easily played a part in the decision not to start him
I'm not sure but i think it was tactical. Gill and Oakley didn't play badly but there wasn't as much emphasis on going forward.

Coles wasn't as bad as everyone is making out, typical L2 CB, nothing more nothing less.

paperclip

Coles wasn't as bad as everyone is making out, typical L2 CB, nothing more nothing less.
The trouble is though that Coles isn't even in our top 3 centre backs, so it baffles me why he continues to get picked (and don't get me started on the captaincy).

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Last edited:

boro_exile

Some similarities to the Rochdale game here, in that we invite them to score first. Teamsheet packed with defensive midfielders doesn’t send out the best message. I was stood 6 yards from the fence behind the goal and had a clear view of the first goal. Cross was missed by Krysiak and the header was into an empty net, hence his fault.
Keohane probably our best attacking player but he played too far away from O’Flynn, as did Nicholls. O’Flynn had a decent game (apart from the glaring miss again) but he is expected to play the Stansfield role, i.e. 30 yards ahead of his nearest teammate. One of the reasons we failed to breach their defence was our lack of width – Arsenal-like passing around the edge of the box. Some of our best chances came from the more desperate, direct, ball over the top stuff near the end. Why can’t we mix it up – get crosses in from wide, play balls over the top to stop them compressing the play, play 2 strikers so Nicholls, for example, can get to the O’Flynn knock-downs?
We are too predictable and easy to beat – press us high up the pitch early on, and put balls over the top, score first, then defend narrow and watch us pass the ball aimlessly in front of you.
An open-minded manager (i.e. a new one) would set us up with 2 wide players (NOT Davies) and possibly 2 strikers or a midfielder just off the striker – much like Rochdale and York.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saturdays highlights.

[video=youtube;cBoxszUSptA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBoxszUSptA&list=UUcGc3MFnRh4EI1Mv3CFX3Xg&feature=c4-overview[/video]