• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official AFC Wimbledon vs ECFC match day thread

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If you look at our last ten games, they have almost all been against lower half teams, and the six points we have picked up were against the team in 23rd and 20th. That's the worry for me, it ought to have been a fertile period for us but instead we now need to get results against form teams.
would be interesting to see which games people think the points are going to come from.

Alistair20000

Best hope is we escape relegation by a gnat's **** and certain people in the club hierarchy acknowledge the game is up and do the right thing. Some people may look at the games in hand and the six point cushion and think we'll be okay, but Feb looks very tough and I reckon all our collective poopers will be twitching vigorously by then.
More likely they would breathe a sigh of relief for the escape (or even claim credit for it) and everything will carry on as before until the next crisis crops us.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
would be interesting to see which games people think the points are going to come from.
We basically have to play the top 6 in the next 10 games. Perhaps Pompey at home? Northampton at home is on the horizon - we might get a larger crowd than expected :(

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Official clip of the tackle on Grimes http://youtu.be/MDbtHDHfSCc

Not worn fryer tuck costume for a while as it does
Doesn't look great does it, two footed and through the man, lucky to get only a yellow?

grecIAN Harris

How is that not a straight red? Jumped in, two feet. Potential leg breaker.

WombleCharlie

My (biased) opinion is that although it was a stupid tackle, it was going for the ball, and Grimes also jumped in with two feet - he was just unlucky to be the one who came off worse. Yellow card and a warning right decision for me.

ECFC Music

One thing I noticed about Tisdale was the amount of instructions and bellowing he gave Sam Parkin, more so than any other player during the short time he was on. Did he feel he wasn't pulling his weight? Maybe not following instructions? Or was it that he felt in the conditions a bruiser is what you really need and defenders aside he is really our only one.
Parkin a bruiser ? He's a pussycat and certainly doesn't use his build to any effect which would be fine if he had any other attributes.Should never have been recruited along with Butterfield who is lightweight.Both need to be moved on at the end of the season,our youngsters offer far more than this pair.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well well well, I was there again and once again left feeling bitterly disappointed. We actually played better then we did against Rovers but that's no consolation when we once again left with no points. I thought we started and although from a bit of luck, we deserved to go 1-0 up. After that Jimmy missed a real sitter IMO where he volleyed over unmarked from about 6 yard out and that miss proved to be crucial. Wimbledon started to get a foot hole in the game and put a lot of high balls into our area to which Artur fumbled a few. Then in the corner closest to the away terrace, Bennett got done in the corner when it looked like it was him coming away with the ball and a low cross into the box resulted in a tap in and 1-1. Just before half time was the horror challenge on Grimes. Both players went in for it but Grimes was too quick for the Wimbledon player and nicked it away from him first and in came their player with a two footed lunge high on Grimesy. The referee and the lino bottled it and gave only a yellow and to make me even more angry he was persistently laughing/smirking/joking around with the Wimbledon players while Grimes was lying down in pain.

Then came the second half and O'Flynn came on for the injured Grimes and immeadietly had a chance where he latched on to Nichols delightful flick but conspired to turn the ball over from about 8 yards when he 100% should have scored with what I believe was his first touch (and perhaps one of his only touches) of the afternoon. Wimbledon continued where they left off at the end of the first half however, and in my opinion looked far more dangerous than us. However we thought we had re-took the lead when Nichols bundled the ball home from close range only to be denied by the offside flag. Some of our fans protested but I belived it was the right decision by the linesman. Then Wimbledon bought on their first winger and immeadiently it looked like a goal was coming. And to our luck at the moment, it did. A slip from JMT and a low cross from the winger was flicked past Artur and I think deservedly we went behind. Then came a sort of monsoon to which hailstones were flying round hitting me and others in the face to a certain extent that I couldn't even watch the game. Then we Bought on Gow and Parkin for Davies and Wheeler. I was surprised Wheeler was taken off as he was really getting some luck down the right and looked our most dangerous player. For the last 10/15 mins we huffed and we puffed but we couldn't find the qualiser and the game ended in a 2-1 defeat. I left feeling disappointed once again as Wimbledon by no means are a much better team (if at all) then us but the truth is this is 2 wins in about 15 games now and there's only so many unlucky defeats we can take. Good teams make their own luck. The journey back summed up the day. With trains cancelled due to a fallen tree on the Exeter St Davids line me and many others were left waiting for a makeshift train to arrive to take us home and once the train train did arrive, I was left standing up along with many others for a good hour and a half until a good number of passengers exited the train at Basingstoke.

With regards to the players I thought not one of our players had their best game. I'm surprised that people have said Gilly had a good game, he really contributes very little if anything at all. When we're attacking he sits just ahead of the centre circle and when we're defending he sits a couple of yards infront of the back four. He doesn't even make tackles. All he does is get the ball, pass it sideways and occasionly launch the ball into the box with a long throw. I thought Grimes was our stand out player until the horror tackle on him ended his afternoon. Nichols and Wheeler worked hard (again) and despite not having their best game never stopped trying and the same cannot be said about the other players. Wheeler, Nichols and Grimes are the only players who look like they give a **** and it really ****es me off that the majority of our players are happy to just turn up, put in minimal effort, collect there wages and go home to their comfy lifestyle. While we spend our money to watch this rubbish, they get paid to contribute to it and quite frankly I've had enough.

Another poor day supporting City but I will be there at Burton. For the sole reason that I love this club.

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not a great camera angle. Two players jumping in together. If Moore rolled around a bit, Grimes may have been in trouble too.

The most annoying part of that club is Butterfield laughing and joking with Moore whilst Grimes is on the floor and clearly in pain.

LL