• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Goalkeeper, Another Loanee or Permanent One?

SidwellOldboy

Southwood from Cheltenham?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Southwood from Cheltenham?
Please no

StudentGrecian

But surely the wage principle applies to Dawson as it does to Bailey-Farrell?
Dawson signed a 4 & 1/2 year contract back in 2020 after a patchy couple of years at Wednesday. Probably still more than we can offer him, but he won’t be on premier league wages like Peacock-Farrell who Burnley spent £2.5 million to bring in.

andrew p long

As Vil's loan has worked so well I wonder whether Aston Villa would let us have current third choice Joe Gauci on loan for next season. He now desperately needs game time in English football in order to develop.

Apparently they paid £1.2m for him earlier this year...

andrew p long

Dawson signed a 4 & 1/2 year contract back in 2020 after a patchy couple of years at Wednesday. Probably still more than we can offer him, but he won’t be on premier league wages like Peacock-Farrell who Burnley spent £2.5 million to bring in.
At the point Dawson signed that contract he was first choice for Wednesday in the Championship. It was/would have been a tasty deal on serious Championship wages (note also the 4.5 year length of contract). It is rumoured to be 500k pa.

tom_ecfc

Rush keeper? 😜

Exehausted

Rush keeper? 😜
No there's no Rush, plenty of time until August!

kuznetsov

As with any other position, a permanent bod would be preferable, but as the last three loans have proved there are some very good keepers available.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
For all the mention of Dawson, who was fantastic for us BTW, I'm not so sure he's going to be a fit for GC's style. I don't think he's nearly as comfortable as Vil with the ball at his feet.

PeteUSA

I think we need to sign a permanent keeper; easier said than done I know, but that would be my preference over keeping on getting keepers on loan. Loan keepers are on loan for a reason, they're not good enough to play for their parent club. Weather it be Blackman, Dawson or Sinisalo, in my opinion, they came to us with the intention of ironing out their weaknesses, not risking getting injured for the cause; self preservation was apparent with all three, particularly the latter two when dealing with one on one situations. They all served us well, but I think its time to get a full time City dedicated keeper, above all else.