• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're a good, stable, League 1 club with an excellent money making academy and average gates of 7k odd - do you really think a manager not even Torquay would want (and would laugh at us for appointing) would be anywhere near the best quality CV on the table?

Think the hangover of being crap for most of the 90s/early00s has meant some on here have the lowest of expectations. Explains Geoff's rambles.

Thankfully I don't believe KN is even up for debate. Yesterday was probably the final nail in the short lived calls for him to somehow be in charge - we can move on and look forward to what's next.
I accept I've one of those Grecians who have been through the 'crap years' and am as pleased as any Grecian to see us progress over the last 15+ years.
IMHO we have progressed through careful nurturing of both on field & off field assets setting progression pathways in motion for our assets. One of the prime reasons we have a "excellent money making academy" is that staff grow up with players through the system and get to know each other inside out.
As MT admitted this season was going to be very challenging to stabilise us in L1 with the relative size of playing budget which, like all Grecians, we hope is increased in January for the Xfer window.
Because of budgets, injuries & illness yesterday over half of team on the pitch were academy players which is likely to continue until at least Jan 23. Think how much money our fan owned club has 'saved' by growing our own ?
I don't really care who "laughs at us" but really feel that our club is all about growing our own - I feel Kev N has earn't the right to be part of the process as, like MT did previously, he has nurtured and knows our next crop of players better than probably anyone.
Grecians we need to face the fact that as MT said we have an already overspent playing budget, apparently have nothing spare to sign an out of contract player to shore up the defence till Xmas & may not have a windfall to spend in the next window.
Whoever comes in will have to manage with the majority of players we have - better the devil we know I say.
UTC

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Julian Tagg on the new manager search

C j phill

Julian Tagg on the new manager search

I'd like to see the post match interview and his thoughts on conceding 8 goals in two matches, in respect of needing to make a prompt appointment.

DPR1901

- better the devil we know I say.
UTC
KN - a man in his early 40's who until recently coached/managed our Under 18's. Nothing at all wrong with that, it's a key role at the club, and from what I've seen he seems a genuinely decent intelligent bloke.

The necessary attributes to take our club forward include, but are not limited to; coaching ability, tactical awareness, man-management skills, interpersonal skills, motivational ability, contacts within the game, drive, ambition, determination, dedication, patience, resilience, self-belief, media communication skills, sense of humour (!) etc.

If KN, a man in his early 40's, was in possession of the necessary attributes would he really be the coach of our Under 18's?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
KN - a man in his early 40's who until recently coached/managed our Under 18's. Nothing at all wrong with that, it's a key role at the club, and from what I've seen he seems a genuinely decent intelligent bloke.

The necessary attributes to take our club forward include, but are not limited to; coaching ability, tactical awareness, man-management skills, interpersonal skills, motivational ability, contacts within the game, drive, ambition, determination, dedication, patience, resilience, self-belief, media communication skills, sense of humour (!) etc.

If KN, a man in his early 40's, was in possession of the necessary attributes would he really be the coach of our Under 18's?
Remind us of the position and attributes of a certain Matthew Taylor, aged under 40, prior to his appointment as our manager in 2018 🤔.....

Bridgy 81

There are only 72 EFL clubs but I’m sure a much larger number of people in (and for one reason or another currently out) of the professional game who potentially have all the attributes you detail above and who are very keen to be the Manager of one/any of those clubs.
Sometimes, like a lot of things in life, it can simply boil down to you getting the opportunity, rather than someone else equally well qualified, because you happen to be in the right place at the right time.
I suppose the trick is if you get given the chance don’t waste it.

Grecian Max

CV max? means nothing. If jobs went just for the best cv a lot of good people could be overlooked.
You're going round in circles Geoff. You want to appoint internally, yet you also talk about people being overlooked for roles. By casting your net so narrowly the best people are overlooked.

As for a CV - I think in football there is more clarity with this, as success is fairly clearly defined. I've personally never have had to use a CV but it's a different industry.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Remind us of the position and attributes of a certain Matthew Taylor, aged under 40, prior to his appointment as our manager in 2018 🤔.....
Fair comment except we’re in a much tougher league this time around, plus we’re part way into a season. It’s taken us years to get here and one wrong move now could be catastrophic for our season.

Grecian Max

This comparison keeps coming up, I don't know why people are being deliberately blind to the fact that:

- very different circumstances - L1 v L2, 7k gates and current success/4.5K gates and end of toxicity of Tisdale
- Taylor taking the role of u23s which at the time was different to u18s, working with much of the first team
- Taylor showing clear leadership qualities
- Taggy himself has said he'd been groomed to take over, this isn't the case for KN hence him not being immediately appointed
- KN has managed a first team club and wasn't very good - he got sacked and set them up for relegation into a league even Torquay shouldn't be in

Obviously the name of the game on exeweb is to stick a flag in the sand and stick to it no matter what. Seen it with the Tisdale thing, and bizarrely now with a good guy and a clearly a decent coach but someone who should be nowhere near this job.

The club is forward thinking in a lot of ways, and has to be innovative - you can see that in the appointments, including - yes- Paul Tisdale. Taylor was worth the gamble but is the exception not the rule (Dolan was a needs must in the Trust era)

I watched City make the most basic error after error in appointments 1995-2003 - KN would be a a throwback to the likes of Cornforth. And an unnecessary one at that.

-------

When the dust settles and we appoint someone else I won't rub it in Geoff and his crew's faces (can imagine how it would be the other way round....)- I just want City to continue this upward trend and stay in this division for the long term. KN ain't the man, Taggy clearly skirted any major praise for him in that interview so it should be all ok. UTC.

Rosencrantz

I think it is pretty clear that the next manager is not already at the club. Timing wise we have lost a few good coaches lately that has maybe disrupted that line, Dan Green and Chad Gribble for example. The key thing in Taggy's interview that didn't really give much away was making the right appointment, and I paraphrase, for the next five months and five years.

CV's get you an audience. The interviews and presentations get you the job. I saw a list of desirable attributes above and other comments about getting the way the club operate. Development and Community seemed to be missing along with long term vision. But it wasn't from Taggy's interview. These are still highly important to the club in their appointment decision.

Whilst we might now be a L1 club with a higher average gate, fundamentally we are still the same club with the same ethos. The only thing that will have changed is the attractiveness of the club to prospective applicants which hopefully will now be a higher standard. So we might get more experienced managers in the mix, but that doesn't mean they fit the job or long term needs of the club any more than an ambitious U23 manager at a higher club. They will all have different strengths and competencies which the club might well weight differently to many of us, and there is a lot of different opinions on here 🙂

Without any access to the interview process and we will not know who the best candidate will be. We will obviously hear the reasons after the event but our own views will always be partly informed at best. As always it comes down to trusting Taggy and co to make the best decision. The track record has been good.