• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Mirror's Oliver Holt on Kirstie Bowden's tribute to Stano

hello to everyone. im a west ham fan and read the article this morning about kristies story and stanno. i have posted it on knees up mother brown our fans site. a very humble and touching story i think all premiership players and the prawn sandwhich brigade should read. true devotion usually comes across to people who dont follow football as crazy, but this story hits the nail on the head. the premier leauge is so far from the fans and the gulf widens with each passing day each passing dollar. kristy is a true supporter imo and the type football is losing in the higher level. ive been going west ham for 36 years and always been there good times and bad and shall till i die, even more next season in the championship. i respect so much the likes off kristy and fans who go too lower leauge games. r.i.p stanno all my repect too kristy and exeter fans and club. up the hammers, till i die.

AndyB

Yes, a very well written article and VERY well done Kirsty.

Whenever ManUre and Chelski are on the TV, I always notice the big banners they have between tiers of the stands with slogans on, often about legends from that club. I wonder whether we could do something like that with Stanno on and put it somewhere permanently inside SJP. Not exactly sure where for the moment.
What do people think, and any ideas as to where we could put any banner?

This is similar to what I mean: http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00365/CHELSEA_365334a.jpg

Last edited:

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Andy we do have a banner which I paraded along with Adrian Shand before the Bristol Rovers game and also the testimonial last week. Its currently in the Exec 100 club in safe storage but we hope to get put somewhere in the ground but the only place that looks possible is the fence in the corner in the Big Bank by the railway embankment.

This is the one I mean:

AndyB

Andy we do have a banner which I paraded along with Adrian Shand before the Bristol Rovers game and also the testimonial last week. Its currently in the Exec 100 club in safe storage but we hope to get put somewhere in the ground but the only place that looks possible is the fence in the corner in the Big Bank by the railway embankment.
Ah, of course Steve. I had forgotten about that one.
Yes, it would be great to permanently display it somewhere at SJP.

This is the one I mean:

##LINK REMOVED##
im making a banner for west hams last game and it will simply " over paid w*nkers" oh the contrast too your banner

**** Sorry! Web links not allowed for new users ****
This is an effort to combat spam postings. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mac57

another moving piece from oliver holt. from reading his articles it is obvious stanno has had a profound effect on him and i believe he wrote that he had brought his daughter to st james park to pay their respects. nicely done.

oldcity

hello to everyone. im a west ham fan and read the article this morning about kristies story and stanno. i have posted it on knees up mother brown our fans site. a very humble and touching story i think all premiership players and the prawn sandwhich brigade should read. true devotion usually comes across to people who dont follow football as crazy, but this story hits the nail on the head. the premier leauge is so far from the fans and the gulf widens with each passing day each passing dollar. kristy is a true supporter imo and the type football is losing in the higher level. ive been going west ham for 36 years and always been there good times and bad and shall till i die, even more next season in the championship. i respect so much the likes off kristy and fans who go too lower leauge games. r.i.p stanno all my repect too kristy and exeter fans and club. up the hammers, till i die.
Thank you, you are so right it is another world the Premiersh*te! I have a worry with the success we have had under Tisdale as to how far we can go, and still keep the ethos of the Club. the problem being how long before we get dragged along the route of " the dollar is king" when the fans are no longer the backbone of the Club, hopefully we can stay true to values the Club holds now and still progress,

Good luck with the end of the season and thanks for your comments .

Stuart Storer's Tache

Echo a lot of the sentiments written on here. When Oliver Holt did the original piece back in August, I was so moved by the article I felt compelled to email him and thank him. I also provided a link with the thread from Exeweb at the time to show how much it was appreciated.

I will confess I am regular reader of The Mirror and part of this reason is the columnists, with Holt being the pick of the bunch. He really is a superb journalist.

Anyway well done on another great piece and to Kirstie on her efforts in keeping Stanno's memory alive. I think her column in programme is a good read.

Liquid Apples

table 37 , The Sawyers Arms , next to Paintbrush ,
another moving piece from oliver holt. from reading his articles it is obvious stanno has had a profound effect on him and i believe he wrote that he had brought his daughter to st james park to pay their respects. nicely done.
i can vouch for this as i was sat on the steps at pillar 9 writing my note for Stanno. He was with his daughter and had a notebook and was obviusly taking notes of what he was seeing and thinking ready for his article. I must admit although the face was familiar i couldnt put a name to it until i saw him on Sky's Sunday Supplement some weeks later.

Agree with all the comments , top article by the bloke, very moving

Fez Army HQ - somewhere behind enemy lines ..
I'm starting to get just a little embarressed now at welling up everytime I read articles of this nature about Stanno ...