• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The McCormick Treatment...

Matt Russell

I commented on the matchday thread at the time. I find it ignorant, puerille and disrespectful. It was 10 years ago, the law of the land sent him to prison and the law of the land decided to release him. As a professional footballer prior to his incarceration, he is entitled to earn his living that way on release.

The family involved will never get over it, it was a horrible horrible crime. How does a juvenille and inconsiderate crowd chanting consistently help this?. It shows them (and by association the club) in a horrible light and it is embarassing and sad.

Move on now, the family can't and probably won't, but the numbskulls constantly chanting have no connection to the family and just use it as an ill informed opportunity for disrespect.

Hate it!
Beautifully put.

cuzman1977

Some people believe that such a heinous crime, albeit defacto because I'm sure a couple of us on here have driven over the limit without hurt, should be treated by being banned from public life.

How would you feel as a father whose children have died to be innocently watching the football highlights and hear "Luke McCormick was at fault... for that goal" ?

Pobbop

I commented on the matchday thread at the time. I find it ignorant, puerille and disrespectful. It was 10 years ago, the law of the land sent him to prison and the law of the land decided to release him. As a professional footballer prior to his incarceration, he is entitled to earn his living that way on release.

The family involved will never get over it, it was a horrible horrible crime. How does a juvenille and inconsiderate crowd chanting consistently help this?. It shows them (and by association the club) in a horrible light and it is embarassing and sad.

Move on now, the family can't and probably won't, but the numbskulls constantly chanting have no connection to the family and just use it as an ill informed opportunity for disrespect.

Hate it!
How is it ill-informed exactly, we all know what happened.

It's booing from the stands it's disrespectful of whom exactly, other than Mccormick, who deserves disrespect.

TBH we booed Andy woodman when he came back years later for a mistake, this is much more justified IMHO.

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
10 years ago? Don't care.

Ex-Argyle? Don't care.

The bloke got behind the wheel knowing he was over the limit and killed 2 innocent children. After his sentence he then decided to do exactly the same 'job' he had previous. Spare a thought for the parents who have to know the fact the scumbag is earning thousands of pounds a week in the public eye. He's a murderer, it's been proven, words don't hurt as much as his actions did. A few songs about him won't make me lose any sleep tonight, that's for sure.

Grecian68

The only thing I wonder is; Does he get the same treatment from the crowd at every ground he visits, or is the City hatred because he formerly played for Argyle?
Talking to an Arygle supporter the other night about McCormick, yes, apparently he does get abuse at most grounds he plays at.
But the worse abuse he gets is at; Exeter, Portsmouth and Luton.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
10 years ago? Don't care.

Ex-Argyle? Don't care.

The bloke got behind the wheel knowing he was over the limit and killed 2 innocent children. After his sentence he then decided to do exactly the same 'job' he had previous. Spare a thought for the parents who have to know the fact the scumbag is earning thousands of pounds a week in the public eye. He's a murderer, it's been proven, words don't hurt as much as his actions did. A few songs about him won't make me lose any sleep tonight, that's for sure.
Don't be ridiculous, he is NOT a murderer. A murder is someone who deliberately kills someone. He was a selfish and thoughtless man who drove early in the morning after having had too much to drink at a wedding, and through his dangerous and impaired driving caused a fatal accident. The fact that two children died makes the offence worse, but it was a long way from murder.

He was sentenced (quite rightly) by a court of law which heard all the facts, to 7 years and 4 months in prison for causing death by dangerous driving and driving with excess alcohol. He served in prison half that sentence (3 years 8 months), as is normal for someone who doesn't misbehave while in prison.

Whether he should have continued a career in football after his release is a different and more difficult question. I can see both sides of that argument, as it is in the public spotlight unlike a garage mechanic or accountant.

But let's not be naive, our fans have previous in making nasty chants against Argyle players, presumably in the hope that it will affect how they play. Bradley-Wright Phillips anyone?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Genuinely couldn’t care less about the treatment the child killer receives. He killed two innocent kids, there are no mitigating circumstances whatsoever to what he did so any abuse he receives is thoroughly deserved until the day he goes toes up. If that offends you then f*** you, be offended.

I’ll never criticise anyone who kills kids when behind the wheel utterly s***faced.

The Doctor

Beautifully put, Ant

budegrecian

I’ll never criticise anyone who kills kids when behind the wheel utterly s***faced.
I don't think you mean that.

haka

History suggests the answer is pretty clear. Footballers who have done terrible things are never forgiven ...

... until he signs for your club.