• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The John Oflynn miss

Not worn fryer tuck costume for a while as it does
In 2008/9 he scored 18 in 36 games. 3 were pens.

In 2009/10 he scored 16 in 41. 4 were pens.

34 in 77 for a terrible side isn't bad and neither is 27 in 77 if you take away the pens. Bristol City were going to sign him and only didn't when they were wrongly told Maynard would be fit for the start of the season. Who knows why it hasn't worked out for him here but the evidence would suggest he is decent.
The evidence (seen with my eyes) would suggest otherwise.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
No. Just no. Barnet fans said he was shiite and the only reason he scored 15 in a season was because 8 of them were penalties.
Shut up Anon, what you know about football you can write on a stamp.

Flynny was highly regarded and we somehow managed to pip Bristol City to him (Championship Bristol City). He has gone the same wayas Corr, Fleetwood and others who have been decent but ****ed over by Tisdale.

Bittners a Legend

It doesn't help that Tisdale sees the forwards as the first and most important line of defence yet insists on only picking one up top and makes them work their ass off. I'd love to see who covers the most ground each game because I bet it is always the striker. The miss was a bad one...it did bobble beforehand although whether that made a difference who knows...but when you're low on confidence you try to smash it in rather than pass it into the corner. I'd like to see O'Flynn and Nichols play together from the start of a match and actually given some supply rather than working hard for 90 minutes in the hope that one might drop to you from a set piece ala Saturday.

EDIT: Watching it again it does actually bobble massively just before he goes to make connection. Definitely a bad miss but much more understandable when watching it back.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I except that the ball may have bobbled, he may be low on confidence, Tisdale doesn't play him from the start, Tisdales coached all his qualities away, and whatever other excuse anyone wants to make for JOF, but the bottom line is he's not very good.

I can't remmeber the game but it was about a month ago during a home match. Oflynn picks up the ball on the half way line with no one pressuring him, puts his head down and runs for about 15 yards with the ball as fast as he can in a diagonal direction and runs it straight out of play. His lack of awareness of where anyone else, or himself for that matter was astounding.

He really is a rubbish player. He may have a half decent record before joining us but I can't comment on that as I never saw him play. What I can comment on is his time at City and he's been utter crap. He runs hard and never gives up but aside from that I can't think of one other footballing quality - scoring certainly isn't one of them.

rp42

The evidence (seen with my eyes) would suggest otherwise.
Think the legend should go to SPECSAVERS(boffin)

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we all need to cut him a little bit of slack.

Silver fox

Agree, let's move on to tomorrow night and see if he can prove us wrong.

crocks

I wouldnt hold me breath. How long has he been at City? In all that time, he has NEVER shown anything to suggest that he is a striker worth keeping. In fact, play him at RB as I am sure he could do a better job there than Butterfield and certainly better than the forward role he tries so desperately (and fails) to perform.

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

I wouldnt hold me breath. How long has he been at City? In all that time, he has NEVER shown anything to suggest that he is a striker worth keeping. In fact, play him at RB as I am sure he could do a better job there than Butterfield and certainly better than the forward role he tries so desperately (and fails) to perform.
Harsh Crocks, his first season he was alright. It's like signing Messi and playing him as a target man and knocking the ball long. He isn't playing the way he should be played.

Don't get me wrong he isn't blameless but he is far too easy to criticise.

crocks

Harsh Crocks, his first season he was alright.
He scored 7 and was the 5th highest scorer for City in the 2010/11 season. Wow wee....