• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Great Exeter City v FGR Matchday Thread

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think our good defensive record is largely down to picking a very defensive midfield... 1 up front, tillson holding then sometimes 4 central midfielders on top of that. Not been pretty, but you have to say it's worked, by and large... not sure it's the right approach for the rest of the season.... when the pitches improves, the footballing sides will probably start taking more points. Hopefully we can adapt.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think our good defensive record is largely down to picking a very defensive midfield... 1 up front, tillson holding then sometimes 4 central midfielders on top of that. Not been pretty, but you have to say it's worked, by and large... not sure it's the right approach for the rest of the season.... when the pitches improves, the footballing sides will probably start taking more points. Hopefully we can adapt.
yeah cant see any reason why not last season on poor pitch's we tried to play neat nice attractive football add that to a bad injury list and the results were poor so this season tis with a larger, more competative squad even with injuries it has been able to cope and being a touch more pragmatic has probaly helped and the results havnt been outstanding there's been no ALRAMING drop, reflected by our lge position so hats of to pt, he's spent his budget well , and i'm pretty sure once the pitch's improve so will the quality of our football. oh and give tis MORE MONEY and i'm STILL convinced, in fact even more so, he'll put us in contentent for a place in the championship.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
yeah cant see any reason why not last season on poor pitch's we tried to play neat nice attractive football add that to a bad injury list and the results were poor so this season tis with a larger, more competative squad even with injuries it has been able to cope and being a touch more pragmatic has probaly helped and the results havnt been outstanding there's been no ALRAMING drop, reflected by our lge position so hats of to pt, he's spent his budget well , and i'm pretty sure once the pitch's improve so will the quality of our football. oh and give tis MORE MONEY and i'm STILL convinced, in fact even more so, he'll put us in contentent for a place in the championship.
Agreed in general... but we were absolutely smashing it last January..

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed in general... but we were absolutely smashing it last January..
the point is last season we couldnt cope both bad pitch's AND injuries together this season with our stronger squad we can.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having just watched the 360 I can see why some of you think it was penalty from those pictures but I was looking straight down the barrel of the incident from The Bank and what you saw certainly doesn't tell the story.

STURTZ

Strange that those of us that were standing in the area of the big bank adjacent to the incident don't think it was a penalty whilst others do. For me Edwards had lost the ball and then just lost his footing. Maybe I'm wrong.

crocks

Just shows how difficult it is for referees to give the correct decision in a split second. From the bank, I thought, no way it was a penalty, but from the video coverage, it looked stonewall.....

Andy Holloway

Strange that those of us that were standing in the area of the big bank adjacent to the incident don't think it was a penalty whilst others do. For me Edwards had lost the ball and then just lost his footing. Maybe I'm wrong.
Different angle of view = different opinion.

Fortunately for ECFC the only 'opinion' that matters was that of the Referee who awarded us the penalty.

Leads

I haven’t read through the thread but I’m 99% certain that Antman would have commented something along the lines of “definite penalty, if that was in Spain it would be a penalty. It’s only English fans who wouldn’t think that’s a penalty”.

jrg333

This thread perfectly underlines the reason that VAR should only be used for clear, objective decisions such as goal-line, touch-line, and by-line decisions (and possibly offsides although I feel that linesmen largely do an amazing job).

VAR would never be able to clarify whether that was a penalty or not because, as we can see, multiple angles and slow-motion replays still leave us in disagreement. The use of VAR for penalty, diving, and handball decisions is doomed to fail. It simply encourages the passing of subjective decisions down an ever more abstract line, with ever decreasing accountability. Football has flourished despite referees making the odd mistake. VAR for subjective decisions only causes more headaches, not to mention disrupting the flow of a game to an unacceptable extent.