• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Fragility of Trust Control in the Current Economic Climate

Jam Doughnut

So basically the problem is you aren't winning games, the Wembley tourists are watching the rugby and youre down to the dwindling hardcore.

Welcome to the real world.
The chiefs only got 5,000 last week in the premier league so maybe people just can't afford it.

Last season was one of the most exciting i have ever seen in 22 years watching city , i only saw 1 boring game (mk dons i think)! but this season i have been bored to tears watching us never look like scoring against mk dons , brentford (i know we scored a pen), bournemouth and even the 2 games where we won or drew were dire games like chesterfield and notts co. ,even people that can afford it are going to think twice about coming to watch this rubbish.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just a question RW, should the poo hit the fan and such a shortfall as you have described be accrued would the Trustees/membership be liable or would the club simply slip into administraion allowing a pre pack consortium to steal it out from under our noses ?
That's the 64 ball question Poults. It's the situation that I want to avoid, and the reason that I am posting this type of critique so that Trustees realise the full implications of what is going on and what the likely result could be if they don't take the right action now.

On a one season basis a loss of £400,000 would probably not kill us off, and I'm sure the membership would rally around some sort of fundraising scheme to redress the situation. However the Trust must get to grips with the long term implications of all economic or any other change that could impact on Trust control.

Cravat 2

Cost is a huge problem at the moment. I love watching City but am having to pick my games this season due to the cost. I think we need to cut our cloth accordingly and if we go down, we go down.

I think the poor run is s small factor but even last season, when we were in the chase for the play-offs attendances were disappointing - 5000 against Orient.

In a way we are a victim of our own success as staying up means we lost good away followings from Rovers, Swindon, and Argyle. I expect we'd see higher attendances if we were challenging in League 2 than struggling in League One.

I am disappointed about the coke, though, and will be buying drinks ANC bringing them in with ne now.

Last edited:
It is a lot to do with people feeling the pinch, but some of your support are clearly too used to good results. People will get behind Exeter if they're doing well. Which is why the OP is very alarming, because aside from the rivalry, Exeters ownership is something to aspire to.

My thinking is the trustees won't be liable for any shortfall, if the sh*t really hit the fan and administration was the only option, someone would need to pay them. And take it from me they ain't cheap £250 an hour anyone?

One thing won't help is calling for the managers head though.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's the 64 ball question Poults. It's the situation that I want to avoid, and the reason that I am posting this type of critique so that Trustees realise the full implications of what is going on and what the likely result could be if they don't take the right action now..
Any reason that you would think the ones you left behind plus the next batch of newbies are any more likely to address the issue than those in the seat for the last six or seven years ?

I'm not sure you can be more effective 'off piste' than you were in the room, what is needed is for the membership to put pressure on their representatives, there seems to be no mechanism for that were there even the inclination.

Willy Nilly

I am worried by all the numnuts on here saying we should spend big to stay in this league. Really? Financially, we may be better off in the league below.

Sounds like you should be talking to the press, from our painful experience they don't come to you

Poultice

And take it from me they ain't cheap £250 an hour anyone?
Heh, heh, heh, and the rest, no matter how bad it gets for us the utter clusterfook down the road remains a constant source of amusement.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any reason that you would think the ones you left behind plus the next batch of newbies are any more likely to address the issue than those in the seat for the last six or seven years ?

I'm not sure you can be more effective 'off piste' than you were in the room, what is needed is for the membership to put pressure on their representatives, there seems to be no mechanism for that were there even the inclination.
To be fair to those in situ this is a relatively new type of problem as, largely, we have always been able to balance the budget in previous years. We are however losing a lot of very able Trustees this year, and this type of posting is designed to bring the new ones up to speed, and to determine their effectiveness if warnings like these are not heeded.

The Trust finance group is still relatively potent - it's also supplemented by former Trustee and accountant Chris Phillips. Hopefully this group will keep a very wary eye on the financial effects as the season unfolds.

STURTZ

Just a question RW, should the poo hit the fan and such a shortfall as you have described be accrued would the Trustees/membership be liable or would the club simply slip into administraion allowing a pre pack consortium to steal it out from under our noses ?
That would be my main worry.