• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Exeweb Advent Calendar VII Feedback Thread

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't get any answers right, but like Rae, I never expected to. It was a shame that most of the pics came out late at night and I never get a chance to get online until at least 6pm but hey ho.

I can't wait until the next one!

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why restrict it to just the one festival, we could have a Lent quiz, Ramadan, Diwali, etc.

angelic upstart

I like the idea of a Ramadan quiz, the rules could be no one can post on the thread after dan and before dusk and if their lips have touched binge juice then they aren't allowed to post either.

That said, I preferred Barmy's team quizzes me.

Parklife

Well I liked it. Made three guesses, got two right to bag the points. Not a bad strike rate.

LOG

We'll need to make sure we're clear about the new regime's stance on Diwali in good time for this years celebrations.

Spoonz Red E

I shan't complain about my fate otherwise the dialogue will be along the lines of "I say to a mater and you say to a martyr" and we all know what the next line of that particular ditty is.

It was fair, it was wonderful, it was a feast.
Just. Awe. Full.

Grecian2K

A compelling advert for atheism?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
How busy is Poundstretcher these days?

Alistair20000

O.K. Lionel:

1) Which question gave you most pleasure as you saw the suggestions being posted ? Brief reasons in support please.

2) Which question was the biggest disaster to your reputation and why ?

3) Were you a tad miserly on the discretionary bonus points ?

4) How would you rate your performance on a scale of 1-10 ? 1 being absolutely feckin' dire; 10 absolutely fabulous, could not be improved on.

5) Are you available for hire on a freelance basis ? Is the GA similarly available ?

LOG

O.K. Lionel:

1) Which question gave you most pleasure as you saw the suggestions being posted ? Brief reasons in support please.

They were all as good as each other.

2) Which question was the biggest disaster to your reputation and why ?

The music question seemed to be as popular as Shabba at a steering committee meeting *waves*, but the thing was that you didn't actually need to listen to the music, but then only i knew that.

3) Were you a tad miserly on the discretionary bonus points ?

4) How would you rate your performance on a scale of 1-10 ? 1 being absolutely feckin' dire; 10 absolutely fabulous, could not be improved on.

5) Are you available for hire on a freelance basis ? Is the GA similarly available ?
Let me just summarise my own experience of the quiz.

Setting clues isn’t easy. I don't know how others have gone about it in the past, but i usually started with the answer and worked backwards. In doing so, different clues for different answers would crop up from time to time, which was always good as i’d get a 'free' one with little effort.

The challenge was not making it too obscure, but at the same time not wanting to gift points. As the saying goes, they’re easy when you know the answers, but given that the answer could fall into a huge range of categories, it was very easy for participants to set off in completely the wrong direction, but that ain’t my fault, except that apparently it was.

To quickly answer your questions...

1 – Don’t make me choose. They all represented a challenge in their own way. I quite liked the Christmas Eve clue, perhaps because Pate was the answer, i'd been able to get a caravan into the quiz just for Micky B, and that it meant that the quiz was over.

2 – My reputation was in tatters long before the quiz, but if i had to choose it was probably the music question which seemed to go down as well as Shabba turning up at a steering committee meeting. The thing with this one though was that you didn’t need to listen to it to start to work out the answer, but you didn’t know that of course.

3 – I don’t think i gave any bonus points, so you’d assume that i was being miserly. However, day after day of being told that the whole thing was a farce and fixed kind of made me that way, so i'm not taking any responsibility for that.

4 – That’s for you to judge, not me. On that basis, i would guess that i’d be lucky to get 1/10.

5 – I will never be hosting a quiz again. I can’t speak for the GA though, i ain’t her pimp, but i cannot thank her enough for her help and moral support throughout.

In summary, the quiz ruined a month of my life.