• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Debate

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
45% of 65% turnout at Blaby.
I stand corrected poult. Tory person still won though!!!:)

The expectation was for Cameron to crucify Brown, but it didn't happen.

That doesn't mean Brown won the debate, or that Cameron lost.

Clegg clear winner, but it was always thus - some of his ideas were simply pie in the sky...class sizes of 16 with a massively growing population and a whopping debt?!? Limit immigration to a specific area?!? How exactly!? Not possible. He shouldn't have gotten off so scott free, but Brown and Cameron were too busy trying to score points off each other.
Agreed but we knew that was gonna happen..GB and DC were always gonna fight each other while NC will not take a hit but sneakly punch the other two while they are looking at each other...

Alistair20000

Interesting to see the Lib Dems have come out on top. The question is, will the country back their convictions and maybe do something brave or stick with the tried and trusted vicious circle of continual boom and bust?
I am afraid boom and bust is an inevitable part of a capitalist system where markets are driven by fear and greed. It's a bloody awful system but there is nothing to suggest the alternatives are any better. The Lib Dems would have presided over boom and bust had they been in power.

angelic upstart

It's a bloody awful system but there is nothing to suggest the alternatives are any better.
Financially, China disproves that capitalism works.

Socially, Cuba disproves that capitalism works.

Mr Jinx

Well kind of, as long as you like dilapidated housing and 50 year old cars. They seemed a happy enough bunch though when i went. Probably as no-one really owned anything to be ****** off about. No-one owned a house, so no house prices or mortgages to worry about. Nice weather too!

geoffwp

I guess what it comes down to is that believing abandoning our deterrent will encourage other possibley less stable / responsible countries to stop trying to develop these weapons is as naive as it is dangerous.

Plus we don't want France having a bigger d*ck than us! :)
Let's turn it around another way Phil. Perhaps it comes down to believing abandoning our deterrent will have absolutely no effect on either the main players in the game or the weirdo nutcases like Mr cheap suits and polyester shirts would like to do in Iran. I decided a long time ago that, if it came down to us releasing these weapons then the world would already be totally f*cked so what would the point be? What good would it do my kids? Your point about the French having a bigger d*ck is really what it's all about though isn't it. Problem with Britain is we still would like to have an empire, and if we can't then.....

Phil Sayers

They seemed a happy enough bunch though when i went.
If you went to North Korea people would seem a happy enough bunch.

There seems to be a widespread myth that the Cuban leadership is benign but the fact is that they commit human rights abuses on a shocking scale:

"Day and night, the screams of tormented women in panic and desperation who cry for God's mercy fall upon the deaf ears of prison authorities. They are confined to narrow cells with no sunlight called "drawers" that have cement beds, a hole on the ground for their bodily needs, and are infested with a multitude of rodents, roaches, and other insects.... In these "drawers" the women remain weeks and months. When they scream in terror due to the darkness (blackouts are common) and the heat, they are injected sedatives that keep them half-drugged."

– Juan Carlos González Leiva, State Security Prison. Holguín, Cuba, October 2003.

geoffwp

They would like us to think that AU, but I think the cracks in that started a few years ago.

Alistair20000

What economic system does China operate ?

angelic upstart

They would like us to think that AU, but I think the cracks in that started a few years ago.
I meant on a basic human need level. But never mind.

I am in no doubt Cuba isn't a blissful utopia where everyone is happy and no one has problems. What I meant is, everyone has food, a roof over their head and access to free healthcare. I'd give up a car and a dining room if the whole world could live like that.