• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Day we played Brazil (the play) - 16-27th July

IBA

Bleddy loved it I did! this is a must for every City fan. I thought the production was stunning, very moving story with some great performances. made me proud to be an Exonian and City fan. catch it while you can...

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
Silver, they have a bar and an interval! Although it was quite long two and a half hours with the interval my seven year old managed to keep interested.
Thanks Saint, will go this week (y)

robchave

Excellent show! Very well conceived, produced and performed. An absolute must for anyone with a bit of Exeter City or the city of Exeter in their hearts!

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Arthur Davey was magnificent...

Boyo

Have heard some fantastic things about this. Very much looking forward to going on Friday. There's still tickets left if anyone is keen.

Red Lion

My youngest and I went tonight. Enjoyed it!

Went for the City side of it much more than the musical side of it.

The 'SJP experience', Northcott style, was good but quite luvvy-ed up, and I reckon at least 1/2 hour of the singing shouldn't have made the final script. The footy scenes were very well acted with the help of great lighting and sound effects and the carnival atmos when Brazil beat us (I know, spoilers!) was great.

Also got a glimpse from a distance of former Exeweb Media whore LLL!!! ;)

All in all though, it was good and recommend it to City fans. Apart from Mr. Kirk didn't see any faces I recognise from SJP match-days. Be interested to know what anyone not particularly a City fan who went thought. Went down well with the crowd and the actors got a well deserved ovation.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My youngest and I went tonight. Enjoyed it!

Went for the City side of it much more than the musical side of it.

The 'SJP experience', Northcott style, was good but quite luvvy-ed up, and I reckon at least 1/2 hour of the singing shouldn't have made the final script. The footy scenes were very well acted with the help of great lighting and sound effects and the carnival atmos when Brazil beat us (I know, spoilers!) was great.

Also got a glimpse from a distance of former Exeweb Media whore LLL!!! ;)

All in all though, it was good and recommend it to City fans. Apart from Mr. Kirk didn't see any faces I recognise from SJP match-days. Be interested to know what anyone not particularly a City fan who went thought. Went down well with the crowd and the actors got a well deserved ovation.
Ditto. I enjoyed it hugely but it was to be honest too long and they could edited a fair bit of the "human interest" / context side of it out (eg the scene about the 1931 cup game) without affecting the story. But the acting and singing was very good for a (presumably) mostly non-professional cast. Highly recommended.

Red Lion

But the acting and singing was very good for a (presumably) mostly non-professional cast. Highly recommended.
I wondered that too John but felt I'd out-stayed my welcome in my last post!

I was too tight to buy a programme but in hindsight probably wish I had to answer my curiosity!

I know they were looking for volunteers for this a few weeks back, not sure how many on stage were? (And when I said don't recognise faces I meant on stage too)

If they were all 'am-dram' some of them were exceptional. If some were professional luvvys then they acted out their love for the City brilliantly!

robchave

Know a few people in the show (being a bit of an amateur luvvie myself!) and can confirm that the entire cast (apart from one who I know does some paid work when he can get it) are amateurs. Community theatre at its best.

robchave

Oh yeah. One of the older guys had had a professional career - done quite a few supporting roles on TV.