• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Workington will always have an indelible place in my mind, due to our 0-0 draw in Cumbria on the final day of the 1963-64 season, which gave us our first ever promotion. Sadly I wasn't among the astonishing 8600 crowd, but I did make it down to St David's station, on the Sunday lunchtime, to welcome the team home after their overnight train journey ! Amazing scenes.

Oldsmobile-88

Can only ever remember Workington being embroiled in re-election battles it seemed to a guaranteed 4 Points every season against them and hard to believe that Bill Shankly was once the manager there...Dad has always had a soft spot for them and still looks for their results today.
I watched a Conf North game there about 12 years ago & they seemed to be ‘on the up’.
Decent crowds for that level,I think they made the Playoffs that season or the next,but fell away & dropped a couple of levels in quick succession.

Quite a small town to sustain League football in the era when they were in the Football League 1951-1977

Oldsmobile-88

Pretty sure I can recall G2K mentioning that he rode a motorcycle to Workington once to watch The Grecians ?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tiverton Town knocking on the door of the National League South. Can they do it?
If Torquay continue their current slide could there be another Devon derby in the offing next season?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
New owner at Stockport

DB9

New owner at Stockport

A club that's been in the doldrums for years now, Would like to see them back in the league. Their attendances use to be pretty good, Wonder if the crowds have stayed with them?

Oldsmobile-88

A club that's been in the doldrums for years now, Would like to see them back in the league. Their attendances use to be pretty good, Wonder if the crowds have stayed with them?
The crowds have been good..2,000-3000 in National League North & improved this season.

The club were saddled with a large debt after relegation from the FL & that was putting off potential buyers.It would appear that has been sorted out.

Amazing to think that just over 20 years ago.Stockport were a division higher than Man City.
The joke around Citeh fans at the time were that they were in the shadow of Stockport 😁

Legohead

Banned
Kevin Francis and Brett Angel were two formidable strikers I remember from Stockport in the 90's. Stockport should IMO be a league club and I hope they get back there soon. Ideally replacing the likes of Salford.

Oldsmobile-88

Kevin Francis and Brett Angel were two formidable strikers I remember from Stockport in the 90's. Stockport should IMO be a league club and I hope they get back there soon. Ideally replacing the likes of Salford.
Iirc Kevin Francis had a brief spell on loan at SJP.

Stockport were relegated from the FL & National League after a few unwise managerial appointments with complicity by owners who did not know what they were doing.
Played at that historic low level on merit.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Iirc Kevin Francis had a brief spell on loan at SJP.
Indeed he did - I remember watching him in the Windscreen Wiper Trophy at Wycombe. They had one of those extendable tunnels and, given it was a rather less PC time, we sung that it was "Kev's condom".