• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The best game ever

les.gtfc

Grimsby Town 2 Exeter 1 last game of the season 11th May 1991 which clinched our promotion to what is now The Championship.

bumble1976

Looking up optimistically...unless I get depressed
Brilliant game - electric atmosphere...brings a smile to my face thinking about it now.

But was it better than Logie's 89th minute header against Torquay a year later? Given the way we looked so dead and buried in that game with 20 mins to go, and it was bang in front of us, I would have to conclude that the 4-1 was JUST better.

Great we have a choice of memorable moments...wasn't always like this!!

les.gtfc

Brilliant game - electric atmosphere...brings a smile to my face thinking about it now.
It certainly was, it still brings a smile to my face too when I think about it. :D ;)

Jersey Tone

Grimsby Town 2 Exeter 1 last game of the season 11th May 1991 which clinched our promotion to what is now The Championship.
If I remember rightly the previous season Southend, Cambridge and your boys came up from the old 4th with Terry Cooper's might reds. The following season Southend, Cambridge and Grimsby repeated the feat. And Exeter??? Lower/mid table obscurity!!! Would settle for that right now.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster

But was it better than Logie's 89th minute header against Torquay a year later? Given the way we looked so dead and buried in that game with 20 mins to go, and it was bang in front of us, I would have to conclude that the 4-1 was JUST better.

Great we have a choice of memorable moments...wasn't always like this!!
I also think the fact we went on to win at Wembley gives the Torquay memory an extra shine, like the Morecambe defeat dulls the Oxford memory. Both games were amazing to be at (I was there for both, large penis, etc) but I would give the nod to Torquay due to opponents, timing of goals, into away end, skin him Wayno.....goonlogan and Buckle's spazzy-eye face when he realised he had f*cked it up.

Oxford was great because of first time at Wembley, tension of penalties, great team performance, atmosphere and attitude in the away end (the true believers!), but for me Torquay just edges it.

Skin him Wayno........

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Arrrghhrghrg only the sound will load! Anyone got this footage anywhere else? Have been gagging to see these highlights since 2007!

Ebs

Arrrghhrghrg only the sound will load! Anyone got this footage anywhere else? Have been gagging to see these highlights since 2007!
It was never available on DVD but I edited 40 minutes of highlights which are available to Grecian Player subscribers:

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/player/LatestNews/0,,10436,00.html

cameraman

It was never available on DVD but I edited 40 minutes of highlights which are available to Grecian Player subscribers:

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/player/LatestNews/0,,10436,00.html
The Exeter City/Torquay Utd. Play-Off games are available on DVD, and always will be.

Ebs

The Exeter City/Torquay Utd. Play-Off games are available on DVD, and always will be.
He said 2007 so I'm assuming he meant Oxford and not Torquay....

cameraman

He said 2007 so I'm assuming he meant Oxford and not Torquay....
I've got the Exeter City-v-Oxford home leg as well, somewhere in my archives.
This of course is my footage not 'Setantas'. Live sound no commentary

Last edited: