• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The are we promoted yet thread

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd still be surprised if we go up automatically. Yesterday's game realy could have gone either way, a bit of composure on goal from a Newport player, a more lenient referee, the penalty appeal Newport had would have been given at their place I reckon (in my view it was a pen), it was a narrow victory and we need to play as hard and tough as that every single game while bedding in new players who are essential to our long term progress. Oppositions will work out that we do't play the way we used to soon enough (looks like Newport had already done their homework on that score). Our centre backs may very well be the best kept secret in the football league but an injury to either would be a problem.

Top seven for me but doubtful we'll make it automatically.
Penalty appeal? What penalty appeal? Also, you could equally point the 'more composure in front of goal' finger equally at our players. More than once we blazed wide/high/straight at the keeper when it seemed easier to score. As for a lenient ref, it's difficult to see how much more he could let them get away with in terms of physicality.

Truth is could've would've should've doesn't mean a thing when it comes to points on the board. Yes we could have lost but we didn't, we won and in the end without having our keeper unduly troubled. I know you'll enjoy the ride as much as anyone, but let's just do that while it lasts. No-one as yet looks any more deserving of top spot than us so who knows, perhaps we'll still be there when it matters but with the squad we've got we certainly don't need to worry about anyone else.

denzel

So the defenders may get injured? So might players in other teams. We seem to have strength in depth at the moment, we aren't missing Croll, Moxey, Harley, Simpson, never mind the four new signings.

Can't say how things will pan out but we seem to have played some good sides and have 13 points from 5 games. No one can complain about that!

Pobbop

I'm pretty confident with the new players and moxey still to come, but c'mon we are Exeter City something crap is always around the corner.

denzel

I see we are now third with the bookies, behind Luton and Mansfield but now above the likes of Coventry and Notts County.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-2

Probably about right, would definitely take third from here!

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
The big question is... how would this team fare in League One?

I'd say lower mid table, just about avoiding the drop. So marginally better than Argyle... (rofl)

PeteUSA

The big question is... how would this team fare in League One?
Thats the big question? I wouldnt have thought its crossed anybody elses mind yet. We've barely seen our team yet to make any kind of judgement, let alone worry about our suitability for League 1. I would have thought the big question would be: Can we win automatic promotion? followed by: Can we make the playoffs?

ExeterCityLad

Yes, one hundred percent.

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Barnet away on Tuesday night should give us a better idea of our level than FGR did today.

Can't wait actually.

haka

Obviously we are promoted now, but let's not get carried away. Even after the rebuild, our ground will not be up to Premier League standard.

But the parachute money will come in handy.

Angus

Just booked my hotel for when the open top bus parade will be here. Obviously dates yet to be confirmed but may bank holiday weekend sounds good.