• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The April Trust newsletter.

ExmouthMart

Trust Board Meeting - 11th March 2024

Core to this meeting was the attendance of COO Justin Quick and our Safety Officer, Kevin Instance.

Some members had expressed concern around the restriction by the club to disallow freedom of expression, or to protest, as is their right under the European Convention of Human Rights, following an incident of St James during the Shrewsbury game on November 28th.

Justin and Kevin provided a detailed account of the regulations surrounding match-day security and then looked more closely at the incident concerned.

Upon hearing all of the circumstances the Trust Board felt that there was no further action to be taken, other than the club would consider a statement, in the near future, reminding supporters of ground rules and the importance of co-operating with stewards and security staff. They are present to keep us all safe and the Trust Board and some members present thanked both Justin and Kevin for their professionalism and efforts in this respect.
This is a joke surely?! One chap with a little sign is going to start a riot?!……. A complete over reaction from people elected to run the club on our behalf and hiding behind ‘ground rules’. Hassling one of own supporters is pathetic for doing nothing remotely offensive. The old village fete committee rears its ugly head……..

Gordon Dale

Trust Board Meeting - 11th March 2024

Core to this meeting was the attendance of COO Justin Quick and our Safety Officer, Kevin Instance.

Some members had expressed concern around the restriction by the club to disallow freedom of expression, or to protest, as is their right under the European Convention of Human Rights, following an incident of St James during the Shrewsbury game on November 28th.

Justin and Kevin provided a detailed account of the regulations surrounding match-day security and then looked more closely at the incident concerned.

Upon hearing all of the circumstances the Trust Board felt that there was no further action to be taken, other than the club would consider a statement, in the near future, reminding supporters of ground rules and the importance of co-operating with stewards and security staff. They are present to keep us all safe and the Trust Board and some members present thanked both Justin and Kevin for their professionalism and efforts in this respect.
This is a joke surely?! One chap with a little sign is going to start a riot?!……. A complete over reaction from people elected to run the club on our behalf and hiding behind ‘ground rules’. Hassling one of own supporters is pathetic for doing nothing remotely offensive. The old village fete committee rears its ugly head……..
After four months, it was the TB meeting of 4/12/23 when legitimate concerns were first raised formally ,disappointingly it is considered that both the Trust and Club boards have yet to live up to the spirit of their very clear roles and responsibilities towards the owners of ECFC . The club statement should reflect the specific words of the Safety Officer that relate directly to the incident . He is apparently the Final Arbiter on such matters. On that basis , and on the grounds of reasonableness , there can therefore be no valid objections to such a statement.
Why is this important ? Doubtless there will be other instances of freedom of expression down the line. In this regard , a club statement setting out the Safety Officer's VERY CLEAR views should ensure that stewards, security staff and supporters fully understand their respective responsibilities inside SJP.

We8Argyle

I’ve been skeptical in the past but god we’re lucky to have the trust!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
After four months, it was the TB meeting of 4/12/23 when legitimate concerns were first raised formally ,disappointingly it is considered that both the Trust and Club boards have yet to live up to the spirit of their very clear roles and responsibilities towards the owners of ECFC . The club statement should reflect the specific words of the Safety Officer that relate directly to the incident . He is apparently the Final Arbiter on such matters. On that basis , and on the grounds of reasonableness , there can therefore be no valid objections to such a statement.
Why is this important ? Doubtless there will be other instances of freedom of expression down the line. In this regard , a club statement setting out the Safety Officer's VERY CLEAR views should ensure that stewards, security staff and supporters fully understand their respective responsibilities inside SJP.
If the club / boards ignore advice given by the appointed Safety Officer (SO) then this could leave them in "hot water" with whoever enforces the requirements of the Government's Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds given that SOs are required to be in overall control on event days and regarded as principal adviser on non-event days.

Kevin Instance's own briefing notes used to brief stewards pre the Shrews game included "Caldwell Out banners and the like will be tolerated provided they are not offensive." - this statement was again highlighted during the last Trust Board.

I wish the stewards were as energetic and quick to act against the (growing) number of people in the Stanno Stand who get up every 5 mins during the match and then time their return when a key moment is unfolding on the pitch, at which point they usually stand in the aisle blocking my view or else want to squeeze past me to get back to their seat.
I've noticed the same trend at gigs, too. People can't just sit and watch the game. I blame mobile phones, American sports, the Chiefs and lager (not necessarily in that order).
I think the stewards should refuse people entry back into the stand until the next 'interval' ie half time, or break in play.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wish the stewards were as energetic and quick to act against the (growing) number of people in the Stanno Stand who get up every 5 mins during the match and then time their return when a key moment is unfolding on the pitch, at which point they usually stand in the aisle blocking my view or else want to squeeze past me to get back to their seat.
I've noticed the same trend at gigs, too. People can't just sit and watch the game. I blame mobile phones, American sports, the Chiefs and lager (not necessarily in that order).
I think the stewards should refuse people entry back into the stand until the next 'interval' ie half time, or break in play.
At half time in the "Doble" hospitality areas they should adopt what they do in theatres and ring a bell 3 minutes before the resumption and shoo all the greedy feckers back to their seats in good time ! :cool:

iscalad

At half time in the "Doble" hospitality areas they should adopt what they do in theatres and ring a bell 3 minutes before the resumption and shoo all the greedy feckers back to their seats in good time ! :cool:
Nah. Then we wouldn't be able to laugh at them missing 2 City goals.

Mid Devon Grecian

At a festival a few years ago we were listening to the wonderful Jesca Hoop. Behind us were two ladies catching up on their respective lives, constant verbal diarrhoea. I turned around and in a low even voice said “will you please STFU”. Silence.

Colesman Ballz

At a festival a few years ago we were listening to the wonderful Jesca Hoop. Behind us were two ladies catching up on their respective lives, constant verbal diarrhoea. I turned around and in a low even voice said “will you please STFU”. Silence.
Similar happened to me at a secret end of tour gig by Wings in a small venue, The Mean Fiddler. Fortunately I got on well with the owner, the recently deceased Vince Power, so was able to get invited along with the girlfriend. There were two sets and during the first acoustic one, two p*ssed up record company execs were stood directly behind, totally ignoring the music and loudly yabbering on. My comment to them along the lines of everyone else being there to listen the music (with the odd expletive or two added) accompanied by an icy stare similarly worked wonders !