• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The ‘El Pastico’ Ranked.

Stelios

The Devon/Cornwall derby ranked a healthy 15th out of 18 in a list of top British football rivalries.
This will no doubt irk our high-falutin Greenie friends no end! 😄

And above Bristol too :ROFLMAO:

I’m glad to see the worst derby in sport and the biggest non-event in the calendar ‘Brighton v Crystal Palace’ didn’t make the list :sleep::sleep::sleep:

Radio Free Skaro

Yes, he would say that, wouldn't he? He was basically just looking down his nose at you without you realising it.
Maybe we need some City fans with good memories, who could verify what the state of the City/Argyle rivalry was back in the day!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe we need some City fans with good memories, who could verify what the state of the City/Argyle rivalry was back in the day!
Fierce in the 70s

Radio Free Skaro

Fierce in the 70s
Correct mate! But we really need some City fans who recall 50s and 60s as that was the period in question.

DawlishBouy

Correct mate! But we really need some City fans who recall 50s and 60s as that was the period in question.
Between 1950 and 1976 City and Plymouth were in the same division for just 4 seasons (1951, 1952, 1957,1958) so not surprising the Plymouth supporter didn’t recall there being much of a rivalry back then.
Between 1924 and 1959 Portsmouth were always in a higher division than Plymouth so the Plymouth supporters recollection of a"dockyard" rivalry in the 1950's is delusional. As Coleman Ballz pointed out the Royal Navy field gun contest held at The Royal Tournament led some people to start calling Plymouth v Portsmouth "the battle of the ports".
The desire to call it "the dockyard derby" is a recent invention of Plymouth supporters and is unreciprocated in Portsmouth.
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/the-dockyard-derby-whats-next-the-harry-redknapp-derby-does-portsmouth-v-sunderland-need-a-label-too-3037117

Radio Free Skaro

Between 1950 and 1976 City and Plymouth were in the same division for just 4 seasons (1951, 1952, 1957,1958) so not surprising the Plymouth supporter didn’t recall there being much of a rivalry back then.
Between 1924 and 1959 Portsmouth were always in a higher division than Plymouth so the Plymouth supporters recollection of a"dockyard" rivalry in the 1950's is delusional. As Coleman Ballz pointed out the Royal Navy field gun contest held at The Royal Tournament led some people to start calling Plymouth v Portsmouth "the battle of the ports".
The desire to call it "the dockyard derby" is a recent invention of Plymouth supporters and is unreciprocated in Portsmouth.
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/the-dockyard-derby-whats-next-the-harry-redknapp-derby-does-portsmouth-v-sunderland-need-a-label-too-3037117
I'm still not convinced. There is no evidence here to prove this.. The only way to find out is to speak to supporters with long memories and who will be quite elderly now.

Colesman Ballz

The first Exeter v Plymouth game I recall was a Devon Bowl Final at SJP a few days after our final game In the 1963/64 season. Whilst it served as a nice celebration of our promotion to Division 3 and resulted in a good City victory, the Greenies didn't put out their full team, and I certainly don't recall them having a mass support at the game, which iirc had an attendance around the 5k mark, which was about half of what our final two home league games achieved. Prior to the introduction of the League Cup and its subsequent use of regionalised early rounds, the Devon Bowl was really the only chance of City and the Slime playing each other, so it's not really surprising that any actually rivalry in the form of "Derby" matches never occurred.

grecIAN Harris

I know they've put some dodgy parameters on it but I can't understand why Forest v Derby isn't on there.

Stelios

I know they've put some dodgy parameters on it but I can't understand why Forest v Derby isn't on there.
No. 11 (y)

Radio Free Skaro

The first Exeter v Plymouth game I recall was a Devon Bowl Final at SJP a few days after our final game In the 1963/64 season. Whilst it served as a nice celebration of our promotion to Division 3 and resulted in a good City victory, the Greenies didn't put out their full team, and I certainly don't recall them having a mass support at the game, which iirc had an attendance around the 5k mark, which was about half of what our final two home league games achieved. Prior to the introduction of the League Cup and its subsequent use of regionalised early rounds, the Devon Bowl was really the only chance of City and the Slime playing each other, so it's not really surprising that any actually rivalry in the form of "Derby" matches never occurred.
Thanks Colesman this ties in with what I thought and is consistent with with the person from Plymouth told me. So the City - Argyle rivalry never really started in earnest until perhaps the late 70s and even by the early 80s Exeter City could sport an all green away kit and no-one batted an eye-lid! So this ancient bitter rivalry isn't actually that historic . Although if it started 40-50 years ago that's still a long time but its wrong to think that the City Argyle rivalry in it's current form has been around forever when it clearly hasn't !!!

Last edited: