• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

That was a definite penalty?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: Let's put this one to bed

Have a look at his back foot...he drags it along the ground just before he goes down. Ask any front player who plays at a decent level what technique they use to outwit the referee and this is part of the deception...
Of course he hammed it up a bit, but it was still a foul and we still got the penalty that we deserved.

Big Ted

Re: Let's put this one to bed

Have a look at his back foot...he drags it along the ground just before he goes down. Ask any front player who plays at a decent level what technique they use to outwit the referee and this is part of the deception...
I thought it was dodgy at the time (viewed from the cowshed side of the bank) but having seen the clip the Ref had to give it even if Cureton was "professional".

TBH what goes around comes around - Charlton were awarded a goal against us last season just for haveing a shot on target!

NilesCrane

I have watched this incident over and over, slowed down etc and I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly think it wasn't a penalty. The defender clearly did not make contact with the ball and took Cureton's leg.

Whether or not Cureton played for it is debatable. Personally I would give him the benefit of the doubt in this case. I don't think he'd have gone down without the trip. But whether he did or not it was still a definate penalty.

I feel it's a shame the Charlton manager was such a sour loser over it.

I have no doubt much of this is due to Jamie Cureton's "Steve Neville" type reputation at this level of football.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still refer back to Charltons "goal" last season, that was cleared off the line by Goldbourne.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Stonewall penalty, not sure what the fuss is. And yes, Parkinson's reaction (blaming the Ref before saying "I can't blame the Ref" - wtf?) was sourness personified.

Cureton may have drawn the foul by leaving his leg in a position to be caught, but there was definite contact, and at the pace Cureton was travelling at the slightest nick that low down on the leg is easily enough to make him trip.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Parkinson's reaction (blaming the Ref before saying "I can't blame the Ref" - wtf?) was sourness personified.
He came off very badly in that interview. Firstly, blaming the ref, then also blaming his centre back for not getting to Logie's ingenious thump over the top.

Paul Tisdale, in his position, would have had a reaction that reflected on a substandard general team performance with a positive eye to the future rather than trying to cover his own arse by blaming other people.

Keeping your correction of particular mistakes that lead to defeats behind closed doors is the hallmark of modern successful managers.

greenawayr

Anyone else having trouble making sense of the title of this thread?

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
He came off very badly in that interview. Firstly, blaming the ref, then also blaming his centre back for not getting to Logie's ingenious thump over the top.

Paul Tisdale, in his position, would have had a reaction that reflected on a substandard general team performance with a positive eye to the future rather than trying to cover his own arse by blaming other people.

Keeping your correction of particular mistakes that lead to defeats behind closed doors is the hallmark of modern successful managers.
I am guessing you either missed or ignored some of Cheesedale's interviews for Radio Devon last season.

Last edited:

NilesCrane

Anyone else having trouble making sense of the title of this thread?
Are you referring to the question mark at the end of a statement ?

greenawayr

Are you referring to the question mark at the end of a statement ?
I most definately am?

Last edited: